8| Keep Fighting

- Make your way into the world, one punch at a time-

There is something scary about the sunrise when you haven't slept all night

When the first gleams of the morning begin to show, when the enveloping familiar pitch-black starts changing for the grey of dawn, it just feels inherently wrong to still be awake.

Hannah was in anguish as she looked at the stars slowly disappear from her sight with the first pink hues of morning. Her gaze looked down at the city slowly awakening, her eyes roaming the streets before her, already crawling with early joggers and hurried businessmen.

She wasn't in withdraw anymore, she was eating well and drinking enough water, yet anguish kept creeping over her head when the sun went down. A memory, a feeling, anything and everything in the deep of the night made her chest feel constricted as if a bulldozer was trying to crush her ribcage. However, again, the girl stayed strong, knowing perfectly that these ideas were delusions and that they would leave with the first rays of the morning sunlight.

She had forgotten about her demons, yet they were coming back as strong as ever, now that the thick barrier of numbness gifted by medication was gone. She felt the absence of the drugs like a giant void in her chest, a bleeding wound that was so tangible, she could almost feel it as she pressed hard on her chest with her shaking hand.

Drugs would always be her first love. They made her feel good, they healed her, they enveloped her like a thick blanket, shielding her from the outside, but more than that, they also put to sleep the demons inside of her, the indomitable monsters that kept her awake at night. Now that the relationship was over, it had left her wounded and tired. She couldn't forget the delicious buzz that it had made her feel, and the lack was so much worse that she could remember every delicious moment of apathy the substances gave her.

Feeling nothing was just so much easier.

Now, she could feel everything so deeply again, and maybe it meant that her happiness was magnified, but it also meant that her dread was strong enough to crush her when it would slowly invade her mind at night, exactly like it was doing at that precise moment.

Her demons were wide awake, and they were hungry for her blood.

During the night, weariness had taken over Hannah, plunging her in delirious dreams of the same black chamber, the one with the wooden table in the middle with the leather straps, faceless men surrounding it in their white lab coats.

The same old recurring nightmare, with the same table and the same walls.

Every time, she would wake up crying and sweating, struggling in her entangled sheets as she would try to fight off the faceless scientists.

Hannah's head was a dark place and the anguish of the crack of dawn was a direct reflection of her misery.

She knew that she couldn't do anything about the anxiety suffocating her, the nightmares and the insomnia. The only thing she could do was to indulge it, so she stayed awake until the first light of day, letting her dark thoughts run free as she wished she was never born in the first place. After all, she had never asked for all of this, she had never asked for life, or for being treated like an animal, she hadn't even asked for the beloved numbness of drugs, following her wherever she roamed.