32| Masquerade

- I do very bad things and
I do them very well-

Everywhere she looked, Hannah's gaze was lost in a kaleidoscope of colours

Everywhere she looked, Hannah's gaze was lost in a kaleidoscope of colours. People around her didn't pay attention as she walked through the crowd, Taehyung at her side grabbing most of the attention to himself.

With his gothic costume, his impenetrable gaze and his dangerous aura, there wasn't a lady in the room that didn't turn his way when he came in. However, he didn't notice or mind, his cold eyes directed to Hannah and a grin on his lips as she observed her surroundings with an expression of pure ecstasy.

The girl's vision was invaded by the opulent scene unfolding in front of her; women dressed in ball gowns, the material puffing around them, their skirts shining gold and cerulean blue, dark ocher and lavender purple, their faces hidden underneath masks made of pearls and seashells, silver and peacock feathers. Men on the other hand, were mostly dressed in dark colors like shades of grey, black and deep purple, their top hats, capes and canes making Hannah feel like she had leaped through time. A whiff of strong musky cologne hit her nostrils as one of them, disguised as a Harlequin passed by, the white mask covering the entirety of his face making him look uncanny.

Hannah held tighter Taehyung's arm. The last thing she wanted was to get lost in the middle of this crowd. He grabbed her hand, making her heartbeat pickup and slowly guided her to the center of the ballroom, his varnished shoes squeaking on the Victorian black and white mosaic tiles. For once, his touch was gentle, his soft hand caressing her skin making chills course through her spine.

Hannah felt like royalty, her eyes eagerly roaming around to take in everything she could. The patterns, from stripes to madras were everywhere, the pigments assaulting her eyes making her feel lightheaded. She had never seen anything like it, having been locked up almost her whole life. Now all of her senses were on edge, the smells and the textures mixing in a blur and she suddenly felt a little claustrophobic. However, when she glared at Taehyung, all her nervousness melted away, the sparkly mischief in his eyes securing her enough to be able to breathe normally.

"And now, what happens?" she asked, looking at him expectedly.

"Now we dance."

The girl didn't have the time to tell him that she was probably going to trip on her dress or swallow her veil if she tried to dance in such a cumbersome outfit because already, the music was starting, coming from a small orchestra at the far corner of the room. In a ruffle of puffy skirts and feathers, everyone found a partner, women stretching their gloved hands so that men could pick them. The music was slow and languid, the ambiance almost sensual as the candlelight sent dancing shadows across the room.

Hannah's breath hitched in her throat when Taehyung slid his hand around her waist, pulling her to him almost possessively. However, it didn't take long for the girl to reciprocate his eagerness and she delicately placed a hand at the nape of his neck, the other one grabbing his open palm as she stepped closer, looking up at his face with a sparkly gaze.