88

Counselor-nim POV

Jimin is like the spitting image of my boy. Seeing him, it's as though I've gotten to see him again. He even talks the same. He's just as kind. It's like after all these years, my boys soul has somehow managed to find me again.

I ate my ice cream in silence beside the two. They were so overjoyed today. Asking me about what else we could do today. How we must do something else, because it's Jungkook's day.

I remember spending birthdays with my son like this. I remember sitting at this very ice cream parlor years and years ago, my wife and son beside me. My son was 16 at the time. He was so nervous. Sitting across from my wife and I. Just letting his ice cream melt while trying to build up the courage to say what he'd wanted to say.

"Mom, dad, I'm gay" he told us.

Of course, we were shocked. It wasn't common at all back then. Nobody came out. However, we didn't discriminate. I love my son. Gay or not, he was my son. My own blood. We let him know it was absolutely fine. We told him that there's plenty of love in our open minded family, that he shouldn't have been so worried.

The relief and joy that filled his face made my heart so full. The same heart that breaks just thinking about it.

He'd met someone. We of course asked to meet him. We loved the boy. He was such a polite and sweet kid. My wife and I thought, our boy is really happy. We thought, oh how lucky we are to have a son who's found someone so great.

My boy was only 17.

I never expected that on the night of their one year anniversary, that instead of him coming home that night, we'd be greeted by an officer. My heart shattered that very moment. My wife and I let the two go out for a romantic outing, we halfheartedly said our byes and enjoy your time. Just like that, they were both gone forever.

"Sorry to inform you, Lee family, your son and his boyfriend were both murdered due to hate crime against sexuality"

My wife fell against me and cried her eyes out. Hitting my chest and screaming for her son back. I cried too. Having a staring contest with the officer for some reason wishing he'd laugh and say just kidding, it's only a disgusting joke.

It was real.

After that day, I was absolutely broken. My wife wasn't eating right. She couldn't bare go to work. She was majorly depressed. Despite being a therapist, I wasn't able to treat her depression. I wasn't able to help her. Once I lost her too, I had decided that I never wanted anyone else to go through what my family suffered through.

I wanted to cure the illness before any more kids got hurt. I made it my job to protect these kids who were targeted for loving the same gender. I wanted to try to help them suppress their feelings.

To me, I didn't care about anything beside taking care of what I saw to be "the infected". I advertised it that way so that homophobic families or worried families would surely allow me to provide a getaway for these kids.

Yet this generation is different. Seeing Jimin and Jungkook laugh and be happy. Openly being together without anyone else caring, it made me happy.

This whole time, being gay wasn't the infection, the people who did the hate crimes were the infected ones. However, times have really changed.

"Oh! Counselor-nim, you're crying" Jimin said to me.

Reality hit me as I sniffed. He handed me a few napkins to pat my eyes with.

"Ah, I'm old. It's just watery eyes" I lied.

I wiped my tears and smiled a little. Reassuring I was quite alright. He nodded, clearly not wanting to push.

"Jungkook, you're 18 now- and Jimin, you'll be 19 in over a month" I stated.

Jimin frowned.

"Yeah..." he trailed, sadly "we've been here so long"

Jungkook sighed and looked out the window. Somewhat avoiding the conversation.

"yes, and you'll be going soon."

Jimin shook his head then. Sitting up as he pushed his sundae away from himself.

"N-no thanks. I'm- I'll stay. I'm not cured."

Jungkook looked at Jimin. I myself shook my head and chuckled a bit, perfectly understanding why he'd want to stay.

He thinks Jungkook is staying too.

"No can do kiddo..." I sighed. "Jungkook here's paperworks all set to go, he'll be out of here soon and you too."

This caught Jungkook by surprise as well. He turned his whole body towards me. Looking at me with wide eyes.

"How? I-I know I haven't passed yet" Jungkook said.

He hasn't, but the test has never been about testing their actual growth. Only, how well they can lie to me.

Jimin has never lied on a test so he always received 0's, sometimes negatives too (just for my own amusement).

Jungkook on the other hand, deliberately fails them. He could've left way earlier if he wasn't failing them on purpose. His first test several tests were well done. He made it seem as though he was improving slowly but surely. However, as soon as his relationship with Jimin developed, his results all became 0's. It was fine for me though, It allowed me to counsel him for his other problems as well.

I think, all along this has been therapy for myself moreso for others. I'm not clueless, I know those boys messed around. I know they cheated their tests, and I know they went home just as gay as they came. However, they all went home being able to hide it better. I only wanted to ensure safety, at least until they're old enough to be on their own.

"I'll be retiring. I'm old, my times left me. When the both of you go, that place will be nothing but an old mans home."

These two will be alright.

-

Here is counselor-nim's truth.

Omg only a few more chapters.
Like less than 5 ahh