Not everyone writes the same

This topic I think everyone will like or I hope they do. A lot of people attempt to write and compare themselves to other writers. If you don't, then you're fibbing, because we all do.

We read another person's story and wonder how we can be like them. Here's a secret. Are you listening?  Everyone writes differently. Stop comparing your writing to others, not everyone writes the same.

We each have our unique way of telling a story. That's what makes it personal and different. Trust me; when I started writing on here, I thought I was going to suck big time. I'm like eh, no one will read it and I'll be stuck in writing purgatory, forever. That's after I throw myself on my bed and cry. Just kidding, I don't do that. If I'm throwing myself on the bed it's to take a nap.

Yeah, I have a weird sense of humor and it throws people off.

Anyway, back at the topic at hand. People worry and try to emulate other writers, hoping to achieve success. Listen, all writers work their ass off to get where they are. It takes a lot of hard work and time. Writing a story is easy, making it sound decent is a little harder, and sounding like you know what you're talking about is difficult.

It's bring everything together in hopes that you don't totally suck.

Now, the big thing out there is writers critiquing another writer's story, trying to be helpful. Operative word, trying and failing miserably at it. What I mean is that the way you phrase something can be misconstrued. While you think you're helping someone, you might offend them.  If you're the type that doesn't think you are or feel another writer needs to learn to take criticism, then that makes you a twatwaffle for failure to understand this.

Unless someone specifically ask for feedback, be careful.  Yes, I know people can comment on stories, but there is an etiquette to feedback. If you're a writer, you know this. Honestly, feedback is given privately from personal friends and family. Reviews are different.

Trust me; I go to certain people for feedback and trust them to be honest with me on if a story idea works or not. If I want a brutal feedback, I'll ask my husband and no one wants to see me in the corner, in a ball, crying. It's a little scary when that happens.

Again, I'm kidding. I'm a humor writer. I make jokes. Most of the time I write, not asking for anyone's opinion.

So, stop comparing yourself or making another writer feel terrible and work at improving your writing. It's all a work in progress. Now, get back to writing. You have readers waiting for you.