Advice for writers

Since I joined Wattpad in February 23, 2017, I started off reading by March I started writing. I had to navigate with wattpad and make a few missteps before learning some tricks.

The thing about Wattpad it gives you a chance to write. It also gives you a chance to use media, anywhere from covers to pictures, videos, and gifs. Use them.  Not tons but enough to give readers a visual. Visuals are important, so is music. It sets the tone.

I got a lot of help from my two best friends. They're way better at the media than I am. As for covers, let's face it, I suck at them. I had to be guided on how to do them by them.

There are a lot of resources from other authors and books that can help guide you. Utilize them.

As for writing, there's a secret to it.  The secret is to write for yourself. This means if you laugh, the reader will laugh. If you cry, the reader will cry. If you're angry, the reader will be angry. Basically throw your dang emotions into it.

People want to feel the emotion and make a connection. Anyone can write words but it's the emotions that play a big part.

Another key element is to know when to do plot twists, cliffhangers and filler chapters. Plot twists keep the reader on their toes. Cliffhangers keep them wanting to know more and filler chapters fill in the gaps so there isn't a big hole in your plot. Nothing worse than having a big gaping hole that leaves the reader confused. Oh hey hole, reader falls in never to be heard from again.

As for people reading, everyone reads and not just giving your story reads. People will vote and comment based on if they like something or not. Some comments are good, some not so good.  Everyone has an opinion and it has to be respected even if you don't agree with it.

Personally I thank people for following me and respond to their comments and messages. Heck, they're reading my stories, so they deserve me to respond.

I also check out people's stories and provide feedback because let's face it, feedback is vital when writing. Am I harsh about it?  No.  Being harsh does nothing to help improve. It's like that English teacher in school that went to town with a red pen. Not cool.

The thing is everyone wants to write and as fellow writers we should support other writers.  It doesn't mean we're going to like every story but support is huge. I'm a huge supporter of anyone that wants to write.

The best advice I can give anyone is be patient and write naturally. Use emotion and make memorable characters. Give credit to those who deserve it. Kindness goes a long way.

Much love
Angel