Triggers, warnings, and wording

This topic is one I thought should be discussed. The stories I write tend to be hard-hitting and emotional. While these stories are fictional, I write about serious topics to help people related better.

The main focus of the stories is family and love. Other issues that are cover helps drive the story along fueling the plot and adding dimensions to characters.

While most people deal with such topics, I don't always include a trigger or warning unless needed. Those will show up in the humor books from time to time.

I grew up in an era that not everything was politically correct and offensive. That time isn't anything like the time now. We've come a long way from that time, but we still have a way to go.

I tried to consider people's feelings, but not everything in the stories is going to be rays of sunshine and rainbows. I want the stories realistic and informative while enjoyable, hence characters like Nixon and Frazier.

Some tones are darker than others, but it's a fictional story. They say write what scares you, and there's a lot of scary things happening now in the world.

The majority of classic stories do not come with trigger warnings. Writers wrote them without that in mind during that time. If we worry so much about an alarm going into a story, we will forget why we read in the first place.

I handle all my subject matter with care when I'm writing, and I research topic, plus I talk to a lot of people who went through it. I've even been through things in my life that help with my writing.

*******
On another note, when I write a story, I tend to use particular words, such as a tool, twit, twatwaffle, etc. You get the gist. I pick particular words to fit the characters of the stories. I find it interesting when someone tries to correct the wording with specifically chosen words.

Let me explain about writing, the author writes their way and every author is different. No story is perfect, and neither is writing. It doesn't make it wrong, but unique.

Some people agree with a story, while others disagree for whatever reason. That's fine. Writing is open to interpretation anyway.

Reading is an escape from reality because let's face it; life can be difficult at times or mundane. Stories give us a chance to enter a world different from our own. The worst thing anyone can do is attack a novel or the writer. Not only does it hinder the creative process, but it kills motivation faster than anything. No motive for writing equals no updating or writing.

Do I expect everyone to like every single story I write? No, I don't. That's why I write different types of storylines.

Will I include trigger warnings in all my stories? Probably, not unless I feel it deserves one. You read at your own risk.

Will I change the wording to suit someone else's need because they don't like it or feel it's incorrect? Have you met me? I'm probably the last person you can make them do what you want. Not even my parents could get me to agree with them. People call it stubborn; I call it thinking for myself.

I write for myself and what I would want to read. If others enjoy it, great, if not, you don't have to read, simple.

My mom gave me sound advice recently. She said if you don't like a song, change the song. If you don't want a movie, turn it off. If you don't like a book, then don't read it. No one says you have to knock someone else's idea because you don't like it. I agree with her.

All writing is subjective, and everyone has a preference.  No two people will like the same thing. That was a discussion my husband and I had the other night.  I found it insightful to gain clarity.

When reading a story, remember that a person sat down and wrote said story.  Most writers take time out of their lives to write and don't get paid for it. A writer will work hours on a chapter, hoping people read, vote, comment, keep reading. I know I do, and so does every writer out there.

Be kind, always.