Chapter 63

Surprise!!

|| ** || ** ||

"Okay, so is it outside or inside?" I ask, bouncing in my seat. Nathan is behind the steering wheel, looking over at me with a grin every few minutes as I try to guess on where we're going. He made me get up at 6 am on a Saturday for this, so it better be worth it.

"I can't tell you," he says with his eyes on the road.

"Can't or won't?" I challenge him with a raised eyebrow. He huffs playfully and purposely ignores my question. Rude.

I nudge him in the ribs and he jerks to the side, "Oi, I'm driving!" Nathan laughs, grabbing my hand as I try to jab him again. He pulls my hand closer to him and I have to lean over the console so he doesn't rip it out of it's socket.

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry! I'm sorry," I laugh loudly as he pretends to bite my hand. Instead he kisses it quickly as he winks at me and places our entwined hands on his leg, driving with one hand.

I watch him as he drives, with a small smile on my face. After everything that has happened between us and look at where we are now. His eyes are on the road but his lips are lifted into a slight smirk because he knows that I'm staring at him. His brown hair is a little shorter now, after his mom had sent him to the barber for looking 'too scruffy'. The sun is shining bright on his face so he leaves my hand on his leg and reaches over to grab his sunglasses from the glove compartment.

After a few more minutes of comfortable silence I open my mouth again, "Can you give me a hint?"

He sighs and looks over at me but I can't read his expression because of his sunglasses, "You're going to annoy me to death, aren't you?"

I nod my head firmly, grinning, "If that's what it takes."

"Well, it's technically a kids place, but I know that you're still practically a child-," he cuts off with a pained laugh when I smack his leg.

"Is it like a kids fun place? Because I heard some stories about one-."

"You made me watch that YouTube video with you, do you think that I would take us there after that?" he raises an eyebrow at me with a smirk on his face.

"I mean, I'm not against it, kinda want to test out the theory..." I trail off with a shrug.

"Maybe next time, babe," he squeezes my hand with a chuckle.

"To the left, to the left," I practically squeal when I hear the lyrics and quickly turn up the radio.

Nathan groans when I start singing along to the song, but he still has a smile on his face whenever he looks over at me.

"You must not know 'bout me

You must not know 'bout me

I could have another you in a minute

Matter of fact he'll be here in a minute, baby"

There's a lot of pointing and attitude as I sing the chorus but he just laughs and shakes his head, "Is this really the song you're going to serenade me with, in the car?"

I move side-to-side as I look at him, "Oh come on, this is an anthem! Everyone knows this song, it's Beyoncé!"

"Is this because I won't tell you where we're going?" He asks, grinning so wide his dimple shows.

"No, it's a jam, I can't help myself. Just tell me already," I whine with a groan.

"We're ten minutes away," he replies, resting his hand on my thigh, squeezing it gently.