Chapter 7

Above: Bryan Leach as Himself and the video to the song Rakim raps Peso

Harlem, New York 2011

After five years, I was finally in the studio recording one of my singles for my mixtape. I didn't have a title for the tape yet, but it would come soon. According to Yams I'm supposed to have at least ten singles for the mixtape. I thought fuck that. Me wanting to get somewhere in the music industry, I wanted to put sixteen songs on it. Yams thought that was too many songs for a rookie like me, but fuck it I'm doing it. I already had four songs recorded. Right now I was working on the song I called Peso. Now I felt like this song was going to be a hit. 

So much has changed over five years. Yams added new people to the Mob. Now we got A$AP Ty Beats, who was our beats producer not a rapper. But together we can come up with some sick ass beats and he's cool. We also got A$AP Ant, A$AP Lotto, A$AP Twelvyy, and A$AP Dom. Then there's A$AP Lou Banga, the only white dude in our group. But he's the whitest nigga anybody will ever meet. He's not a rapper either, more like our manager, but he do keep them laughs coming. With new additions to the group, I'm still the only nigga who doesn't have an A$AP name yet. I literally have no fucking clue what I want to call me. I mean I know it has to be A$AP something, but I mean damn, I haven't came up with shit. 

But for the past five years, I've been trying to come to terms with my sexuality on my own. I haven't told Yams what was up since this was on me. And it's still taking me some fucking time to find out what I am. I still like broads every now and then, but guys, it's something about guys that just make me attracted to them physically and emotionally. Even though my sexuality is confusing the hell out of me, I can't let it stop my hustle. I got to get somewhere some day and that some day starts now. 

After I finished with the hook, Ty cut off the beat. I took off the headphones and left out the booth to meet him. "Ayo Ty let me hear the hook again."

"Aight," he said. I put my fist under my chin as he played the hook back.

"Stop right there," I said. He stopped the hook. "You hear where it sounds like I'm rushing and shit? With the gun cock, gun shot, gonna lick a boy?" 

Ty shook his head and played the hook. "Oh yeah I hear it now. You wanna go back and redo it."

"Yeah, let me hit that shit again." 

"Aight," he said. I was about to walk into the booth until he stopped me. "Rakim, by the way the 'gonna lick a boy' part, sounds very homosexual." He laughed and it took me a second before I "laughed" too. Since I'm still confused, I don't play with that shit right now. But he doesn't know so I can't blame him. 

"Man, shut the fuck up," I said slapping him lightly on the back of his head. "Did you grow up in New York?" 

"Bronx baby, nigga," he said making me laugh for real and hard. "I know what gonna lick a boy mean, I'm just joking man." 

"I know, I know," I said. "Now shut the fuck up and let me work." I popped my collar and he laughed as I was walking back to the booth. Right when I got in, I saw Yams come in with another guy. This dude looked to be way taller than me. He was chocolate-skinned, bald, on the thick side like about Yams's size, and had thick eyebrows. Now he isn't no Idris Elba, but he was and alright looking dude. Not that I would get with him. 

I kept looking at them for a few more seconds, wanting to see if I needed to come out. Instead, Yams waved me off to keep doing what I was doing. I nodded and signaled Ty to play beat to the hook again. When it started,  I took my time and I felt like I was on a fucking roll. 

This is the way it goes, this is the way we roll

Cause everyday we on our pesos {pesos}