Chapter 1

Harlem, New York 2004

Rakim Mayers

"I CAN'T FUCKING BELIEVE YOU RAKIM! AFTER RAISING YOU FOR FIFTEEN YEARS AND THIS IS THE THANKS I GET!" Moms yelled at me as she was beating on my chest with tears coming out her eyes.

I recently got caught selling crack cocaine by the police. This was the first time though. They caught me on a street corner and took me to jail. Moms came down and bailed me out, but the cops said if they caught me one more time I would be arrested and get some years in the pen. When we got back home, moms went on a rampage.

"I wanna know why, Rakim," she said as she rests her fists on the arm rest of the couch. "Why the hell have you been SELLING DRUGS?! AND IT TAKES FOR YOU TO BE FUCKING ARRESTED FOR ME TO FIND OUT!"

I hated to explain this to my mom, but if I don't give her a reason she'll beat the black off me. "Mom, we live in a broken down apartment in Harlem. It's hard out here. I see you struggling everyday and I couldn't take it. I had to make money somehow," I explained to her. She still had a disappointed look on her face and shook her head at me.

"Rakim, don't you think I'm trying hard enough to provide for you and your sister?" She asked looking at me with tears still falling. "I know it's hard out here and I know I'm struggling. Why do you think I have two jobs?" She paused again and took a deep breath. "And you know what? I was wondering where you were getting the money to buy us all these nice things and shit. Tellin' me you had a job down at IHOP and shit. I should've FUCKING KNOWN SOMETHING WAS UP WHEN YOU TOLD ME I COULD NEVER VISIT YOU BECAUSE IT WOULD 'interfere with you working.' I knew I should've fucking checked," she said with her voice cracking and tears were falling harder from her eyes. "Rakim, just get your stuff and get the hell out. I can't deal with you right now."

"But momma-" I started.

"GET THE HELL OUT! LEAVE!" she hollered. The only time I've seen moms this livid was when my pops punched her. That's why the coward is in jail, that along with selling drugs.

It was no point in trying to reason with moms again. I went to my room I use to share with my brother Cameron, until he got shot and killed when I was thirteen. I got a bag that was medium sized and started packing whatever I could fit in there. I hate to admit this but I had tears rolling while I was packing. Usually she would give me another chance, but I guess this done it for her.

"Rocky?" I stopped packing and turn around to see my nine-year-old sister, Amber, standing in the doorway holding her teddy bear pops gave to her. "Where are you going and why were you and mommy fighting?" I shook my head not really wanting to talk and started packing again as I felt her beside me. It was hard to explain all of this to her, especially at her age. I don't want to leave her. I love my sister, but it's probably for the best because I don't want her to be like me. 

"Amber," I start off "Moms is just a little upset right now so Rocky has to go away somewhere for a little bit. I'll be back whenever," I say and kiss her cheek.

I finish packing and was getting ready to walk out the room until I felt her grab my leg. "But Rocky I don't want you to leave," she said softly. I sighed and kept walking anyway with her still on me.

"AMBER GET OFF YOUR BROTHER AND LET HIM LEAVE!" my mom yelled while she was sitting on the couch.

"MOMMY DON'T LET ROCKY GO!" Amber screamed.

Mom had to pry Amber off me. She was kicking and screaming like someone was kidnapping her. I just walked out the front door not looking back. I heard the door slam shut and Amber still screaming. I stood in the hall thinking, it's depressing having to go through this with moms and Amber. I was making money, but now I know in her eyes and mine it wasn't the right way and it was the wrong kind of money to make.