Chapter 4

Above: Zoe Saldana as Shaine and the interior of the limo and the song Rakim raps called Wassup

I was ready to head out the door of the shelter to meet A$AP Yams. I didn't have any business attire packed with me so I stuck with a plaid shirt and some jeans. I admit I was nervous as hell because, what if he changes his mind? I'm just a poor kid that came out of Harlem. Or what if I change my mind because I can't handle the fame?

"Rakim, are you ready?" Shaine asked walking over to me.

"No. I'm nervous I'll admit that," I said straightening out my shirt again. 

"Don't be nervous, you'll be fine. If he liked you Sunday then nothing is going to change his mind," she said.

Just what I need, a little motivation because she had a point on that. "Thanks, Shaine."

"No problem. Just know that I'm always here for you." I smiled at her.

We heard a car honk and we went outside to see a long, black limo pulled up in the front. A lot of other people from the inside and out came to see what was going on. A black man dressed in a tuxedo with black hat got out the limo and opened the door. I'm guessing that was the driver. Damn, I felt fancy.

"Damn, now that's class," said Shaine. "Well, that must for be you." She hugged me tight and kissed me on the cheek before letting me go. "BYE RAKIM! WHEN YOU GET BACK TELL ME HOW IT WENT!" she yelled behind me as I was getting into the limo.

"BYE SHAINE! AND I WILL!" Soon as I settled in the driver closed the door. The inside looked so clean. I never thought I would be seventeen years old in a limo. Actually, I never thought I would be in a limo at all. 

The driver rolled down the wall that separated the front and back of the limo. "Good morning, Mr. Mayers," he said with his New York accent. "I am your driver, Mr. Abbott. We are only about twenty minutes away from our location and ASAP Yams wanted me to let you know that you can have fun in the limo. You can touch the drinks, snacks, turn on the radio, anything. Just don't make a mess back there."

Damn, I gotta thank Yams for this. "I won't. Thanks, Mr. Abbott. And call me Rakim."

"No problem, Rakim." He rolled back up the wall and I sat still for a bit not knowing what to do. I did get up and grab a Sprite from the bar that was in here and a bag of Cheetos. I turned on the radio othat was on a screen and Gin and Juice by Snoop Dogg came on. This was my shit. I started dancing and rapping along having a good ass time.

~~~

It must've been about twenty minutes later because the limo stopped completely meaning that we were here. I threw the trash away and sat next to where Mr. Abbott was going to open the door. When he did, I stepped out and took a good look around me.

I was back in Harlem. Great.

I ignored that and took a good look at the building. It wasn't a big major office of course, but it was a nice sized building. Honestly, this made me even more nervous. I walked up to the door. I didn't know whether to knock or walk in. But I knocked anyway to be on the safe side.

"WHO IS IT?" boomed a man's voice. 

"IT'S RAKIM!" I yelled back.

"RAKIM?!" Soon I heard foot steps come towards the door. I backed up as the door opened and there was guy standing there in a grey sweatshirt and sweatpants. "Lil nigga who are you?" 

Man, I had a feeling I wasn't going to like this guy already. "Yo, chill. I'm Rakim, I was asked to come here by Yams."

He chuckled before speaking. "Oh man, nigga. First of all, you call him by his full name, A$AP Yams. Second-" he was cut off by another voice that came from further inside.