Running away from love

Luna

I woke up with my mom's voice that was a little harsher than usually. Usually she was talking with a soft voice.

I felt her hand on my shoulder and saw her looking down at me when I opened my eyes and got blinded by the brightness of the room. It was early in the morning.

"Luna wake up! You almost late for school! I'm trying to wake you up for straight a hour now!" she said and I furrowed my eyebrows. I pulled my blanket up to my chin and turned around. I was too tired...

"I'm not going to school today." I said with a husky and raw voice. I couldn't see her face but her voice gave away how surprised she was. "Why? Don't you feel good?" she asked a little worried and I felt her weight on the bed. I shook my head, burying my face deeper into my pillow. "I just don't want to." I murmured and heard her sigh.

"Honey, please don't let us do this again.. did something happen at school? Is someone bothering you again?" she asked and for a second I almost forgot to answer because I almost fell asleep again but when I shook my head she asked "What is it then?"

I turned around and got on my back and pushed the blanket off me. I could forget about sleep. When I woke up once it was almost impossible for me to fall asleep again, especially when mom bombed me with these questions.

"Probably because the whole school is talking about her and her new boyfriend." I heard Avery's voice and sat up immediately to see her standing in the doorframe, leaning onto it with her arms crossed in front of her chest and a smirk. What did she want from me? She was already dressed up and ready to leave. Why didn't she just leave?

"You have a boyfriend?" mom asked totally shocked and surprised. She looked at me eyes wide open with a dropped jaw. She looked really confused. I shook my head. I wasn't even tired anymore.

"No, I don't! Oh my god, he's my best friend! The only friend that I actually have!" I said and stood up. I put on my huge bear slippers. Huge huge bear paws. I loved them because they were so comfortable, soft and warm AND my dad's Christmas present from last year. I was always wearing them beneath my pajamas. And with pajamas I mean white shorts and a top with candy patterns.

"So he is not the reason why you're not going to school today?" mom asked also standing up. "No, he is not. He is the only one who protects me and spends his time voluntarily with me." I snapped and added "..and he is NOT my boyfriend!" I almost screamed.

I was so nervous and anxious that my heart was racing and I didn't even know why. It wasn't such a big thing and there was nothing that should make me feel like this... but even the thought of it..

Actually I wanted to stay at home today so I could free my mind and take a little break to realize that I was not in love with Moon. I was sure that it would be okay again if I would just take a deep breath and take a break to realize that we were only friends and that I wasn't in love with him. Otherwise it would've gotten worse if I would've seen him a day right after what happened.

He only held my hand. He only interlocked his hand with mine and that was enough to confuse me. That was so ridiculous, I couldn't believe myself because usually I would've never been confused so easily. I would've never been blown away by somebody so easily. What was wrong with me? I thought it would go away if I wouldn't see him for at least a day but it did not really help when we started talking about him at home as well.

I needed to call my best friend from my old school as soon as possible because she was the only person who could understand me and who I could talk to about him. Why did I even want to talk about him?