Chapter 57

A/N:  I'm updating early again because I have to work in the garden today.  I'm behind schedule and storms are going to roll in tonight so I have a lot of planting to do before then.  I'm sure you don't mind the early update.  Enjoy.

Suthee POV

I'm so nervous. Nate wanted it to be a casual dinner so no big deal. This is just like all the other times that we spent time together, but we just aren't focused on helping Wayo with a problem. We can now focus on us. Shit, without Wayo's problems, will we have anything to talk about? This is making me even more nervous. I hope what I wore is fine. Will she like it? I need to cut this out and calm down. Shoot, I'm already at her door.

Knock. Knock.

The door opens and a beautiful Nate is standing there. I'm still speechless whenever I look at her. I have never seen any girl as beautiful as her. Not to mention, she is so smart. I choke but I manage to squeak out, "Ah, you ready?"

She smiles and sweetly replies, "Yes, and I'm hungry. I haven't eaten anything for hours. Is the noodle shop just up the street fine? I have a craving for them tonight."

I can't believe that we were thinking of the same thing. That was where I was going to suggest. I smile and say, "Yes. I was actually craving them, too."

She walks out of her room, shutting the door behind her and we head off down the hall.

Once outside the dorm, we begin walking towards the noodle shop and I'm completely blank. I can't think of anything to talk about. Dang it. Of all times to have my brain stop working, why would it have to be tonight? Well, I'll start with a safe topic. "So how did the Fairy Angels survive the hangovers after the other night at the bar? They were safe after we left them, weren't they?"

Nate starts laughing. "Well, they all swear up and down that they aren't going to drink like that again. However, whenever this happens, they say the same thing and then they usually go out drinking within a week or two and get hammered again. They just don't learn their lesson. Sometimes, I think they really enjoy it even though they say that they don't."

Just remembering back to that night, I can't stop myself from laughing. The Fairy Angels were the funniest thing that happened that night. "Well, if they are like that every time they go out drinking, I'm sure they enjoy it. They may not like the hangover the next day but at that particular moment while they are drinking and having fun, they enjoy themselves."

Nate giggles and says, "They were pretty funny, weren't they?"

I smile and nod my head. "Yes, they were."

After reaching the noodle shop, we order and sit down. Suddenly a thought pops into my head. "P'Nate, are we going to be the ones who will be responsible for the Fairy Angels whenever we go out drinking? I don't always want to always babysit them."

Nate frowns and I think I might have screwed up. Nate doesn't look happy with my response. What did I say that is wrong? I need to fix this now. "P'Nate, did I say something wrong? If I did, I'm sorry."

Nate begins fidgeting and play with her phone. After a few seconds, she looks at me and I can see concern in her eyes. "N'Suthee, I know the Fairy Angels are different than most people, but they are my close friends and I don't consider making sure that they get home safe from a night of partying as babysitting. To me, that is something a good friend would do, and it isn't a burden to me."

Great, I just managed to make her mad, and in a way, insult her friends. I need to fix this and I'm not above begging. "I'm so sorry, P'Nate. I didn't mean to make it sound like that. Babysitting is the wrong word but as long as you are there to help, I won't mind taking care of them. Shit! That sounds bad too. I'm sorry. Please don't be mad at me. I don't want you to be mad."

Nate looks a little shocked, but I don't understand why.

Confused, Nate asks, "Why would it matter if I'm there or not? I don't understand."

Oh shit, this isn't how I wanted to say this. How am I going to fix this without telling her that I like her? Or should I just blurt it out and see how she takes it.

I debate and for a few moments and then I say, "I guess I can't hide it. P'Nate, I like you. I like you a lot. So as long as I had you next to me, I would be fine, especially with the Fairy Angels. You have a way of dealing with them that I don't know anyone else can, but maybe P'Yo."

Nate begins blushing and timidly asks, "You like me that much?"

I immediately chime, "Yes. I like you a lot, and I know this is probably not the way it should be done, but will you be my girlfriend?"

Nate's mouth nearly hits the floor as her mouth drops open. I think I may have shocked her a bit too much but was that a good shock or a bad shock. Oh, I'm so hoping that it is a good shock.

Nate is still confused but asks, "You want to be my boyfriend?"

Smiling, I reach out and cup her hand in mine and simply say, "Yes."

She looks at her hand and then back up to my face. Just as she is about to say something, the server comes over with our food. I take this opportunity to give her some more time think about my question. "Well, let's eat first and then we can finish talking about it later."

We eat our noodles in silence, but I keep sneaking a look at her whenever I can. However, I don't want her to think that I'm some creepy stalker person.

Okay, now I think the awkward silence has moved in. We are done eating and we still haven't started talking yet. Well, I'm the one that messed this up, so I should be the one to hopefully fix it, if I can. I scratch the back of my head and reluctantly say, "Can we talk about what I asked you before?"

Oh, nice going, Suthee. I don't know if I beat around the bush enough. Maybe, I could have been a little more vague. Get some courage and speak straight to the point.

I cough and with a little more confidence, I say, "Wait, I'll be little clearer. Will you be my girlfriend?"

Nate doesn't say anything, but she suddenly finds an imaginary spot on the table fascinating. Well, I guess that is my answer. I guess she doesn't like me. I go to open my mouth to speak and Nate looks up at me and whispers, "Yes."

I'm in shock. I thought since she was taking so long to answer that she was going to say no but I'm so excited that she said yes. As I'm excitedly dancing around in my seat, Nate clears her throat and then says, "But you have to help me take care of the Fairy Angel gang. If you can't do that, then we can't date, and we will go back to being just friends."

I don't even have to think about it and I immediately nearly scream, "Yes!"

Nate smiles at me and I think this is the best day of my life. I'm so glad that I finally got enough courage to ask her out. The next meal will be at a nicer restaurant and I will take her on an official date soon. What could get better than this?