graduation

chanyeol slid his hand into mine so i turned to him and grinned. i looked back at the stage just in time to see our daughter minsoo walk up. she's finally graduating today and she gets to make a special speech for the whole grade. we're beyond proud of her.

"hello students, friends, family, loved ones. thank you for joining us today," she said. "we did it, guys. we've graduated. i can't believe it.

graduations have always been such a special thing for me and my family. it's where my parents met over 20 years ago."

she smiled at me and chanyeol before continuing.

"it's my favourite story of all time. hearing my mom talk about how their eyes met halfway through the ceremony and felt a connection instantly, and seeing the love my dad has in his eyes when he watches my mom recount what happened shows me that true love does exist.

a graduation brought my parents together, therefore knowing that i'm standing where they did 23 years ago when they fell in love is the most amazing thing.

anyway, enough of that..."

i only vaguely listened to the rest of her speech as i was too focused on the memory she had brought up. sitting hand in hand with chanyeol, my now husband of 19 years, watching our 18 year old daughter graduate on the exact same stage we did years ago is very surreal to me.

i never thought i'd get to marry the park chanyeol. no one could even dream they'd be that lucky.

back in high school, chanyeol was the guy everyone wanted to have or wanted to be. sounds cliché, but it was true. he was a head taller than everyone else, super skinny, an athlete, a musician, he had the cutest eyes and ears, the widest, friendliest smile, and he was just so social and outgoing. you always felt better when you were around him.

i'd seen him around school for the four years of school, but the first time we actually "met" was graduation.

i was getting my diploma, shaking the principle's hand, when my eyes met those of a certain giant in the crowd. i couldn't bring myself to look away and it seemed he was having the same problem.

i kept finding him after that and we'd stare for a second before looking away again. it kept on for the whole ceremony until he approached me after and asked for my number. the rest is history.

i was brought back to the present when chanyeol's hand left mine so he could clap. i joined in, cheering for minsoo as she left the stage.

"were you even listening?" chanyeol whispered.

"half," i replied.

"thinking about graduation?"

"mmm."

"can you believe that was 23 years ago?"

"that's on a long list of things i can't believe."

"what else?"

"well, the main thing is that i married you."

"is that a good or bad thing?"

"good. i'm beyond lucky."

he grinned and leaned over to kiss me gently. when he pulled away, i ran my eyes over his face. for a now 40 year old man, he's still as beautiful as when he was 17.

"stop getting distracted and watch the rest of the graduation," he teased. he pecked my lips before turning his head away. i smiled and coped him.

when the ceremony was over and minsoo had said goodbye to her friends, we got in our car and drove to the restaurant where we'd be meeting our family.

"your speech was amazing, honey," chanyeol said.

"thanks dad, i'm glad you liked it," minsoo replied. i smiled at her through the rear view mirror then directed it at chanyeol. my family is beautiful.

hope you guys like this! :)