"That's good, Amber. Where're you going and what are you studying?"

"I'm studying fashion, but I can't decide whether I want to stay here or go to Miami."

"Well I'm sure you'll make the best decision," he responds and soon another cough comes after that. I see Amber has a concerned look on her face, but decides to hold back what she's wants to say about the situation.

I let Dad and Amber continue to have their own conversation until the waiter comes back to take order. Once he leaves again, we keep talking until I get a phone call. I look and see it's an unknown number. Oh hell no, not at a time like this. I hit the decline sending it straight to voicemail. Not even ten seconds later it's the same number calling again. 

"It must be important if they're calling you twice, son."

"Nah, Dad, it's cool. It's just the Mob wanting to be crazy. I'll take it later." I let the call decline again and put my phone on vibrate. I then feel my phone vibrate in my pocket and I mentally roll my eyes. I don't want to pull it out, but at the same time I gotta see what this nigga has to say. 

I pull out my phone to turn on the screen and look at it under the table. 

Unknown Number: so u a family man now? i see by the way ur sister lookin fine as fuck 

My eyes go wide and I'm slyly looking around the restaurant to see any kind of sign of him being here. This message right here makes my blood boil and I better be glad I'm not packing a gun at the moment. 

"Rakim, are you alright?" Dad asks me.

I look up at him putting my phone away. "Yeah, I'm good. That's just Ferg texting me stuff about Australia." 

"You're going to Australia?" Amber asks. "and you didn't invite me?"

I chuckle. "Amber, I'm going on business which means no little sisters allowed." 

"Excuse me I'm not little. I'm damn near grown," She replies.

"You may be, but you'll always be my little sister," I say tickling her on her side making her laugh.

"Alright stop!" she laughs. I look over at Dad and see the smile on his face. 

Despite me making her laugh, I'm still pissed about that message. I'm still on guard in case anything goes down at the moment. I can't believe out of all the places to see me they catch me here. And they were talking about my sister? That's really where I draw the line and that means I better do something about this motherfucker quick before shit gets too out of hand.

~~~

We all leave the restaurant about an hour later with Amber and I heading our separate ways from Dad. We really finished our food about ten minutes after we were full and the rest of the time Amber and Dad had their own conversation with me jumping in from the time to time. This meeting is about them and that's exactly what it was. It did get emotional when Dad explained everything about his actions in the past, but I'm glad Amber heard him out and wasn't quick to judge.

Unfortunately, Dad didn't tell Amber about his illness. I guess I can understand why because he didn't want to spoil seeing him for the first time after all these years. But I really hope he tells her before it's too late. Other than that I'm glad they got to talk as much out as they could and I hope they get to spend as much time together as possible. They did exchange numbers which means I have done my part.

Amber and I hop in my car, drive off, and are on our way back to the apartments. Soon as we're a few miles down the road, I make conversation immediately.