A Happy Birthday with Soraru-san (One-shot)

Warning: Short.

Happy birthday to Mafumafu and let me take this opportunity to wish @artwork_bean a very late happy birthday, and to the other September babies while I'm at it, and of course, you October babies as well!

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

October 18th.

I looked at the clock hung on the wall, its hands pointing at ten. I looked away, back at my computer screen, trying to get back to work. It was ten at night, only two more hours left until the date turns into the 19th of October, calling it an end to my birthday.

Fans were sending me birthday wishes the moment the clock struck twelve, and friends sending me messages through chatting platforms. When I woke up this morning, my family called and we talked a little, they even asked if I would be coming back soon. I gave a little troubled laugh, and said no but I told them that I'd be back before the year ended, and my mother said she'd be looking forward to that day then the call ended. My friends came over and brought me out, celebrated my birthday, had a bite or two from the cake...- Okay, maybe not just a bite or two.

"Soraru-san hasn't contacted you yet, Mafu-kun?"

To be honest, my mind went blank when Amatsuki-kun asked me that question. I was trying really hard to distract myself from thinking about Soraru-san as it would be rude for me to be feeling sad when all my friends were celebrating my birthday for me, even when they were busy with work and did not have much time to spare.

I smiled at Amatsuki-kun.

"No, not yet,"

I watched as Amatsuki-kun's brows came together, forming a frown.

"... You didn't need to force yourself to smile at me,"

As expected from Amatsuki-kun, I couldn't hide anything from him. Yet I continued smiling at him, pretending to not know what he meant by that as I ate my cake. Before he could further interrogate me, I went, "Ah, Amatsuki-kun, you need to try this, and this too!" as I placed some food onto his plate.

"Wa- Wait- I'm on diet, Mafu-kun!"

I sighed, looking back up at the wall clock again. It had not even passed a minute since the last time I looked at it. I brought the can of beer to my mouth, and downed it all at once. It was only my second can for the night, and yet I was already feeling dizzy. I could never hold my alcohol. It could be because I was not used to it, or it might just be that I was weak. Whatever the reason was, I don't drink much.

But tonight, tonight was slightly different from the other nights. I slipped my finger into the ring of the rivet and tried to pull. It took me a lot for me to finally manage to get it open. I pouted and tried downing it again. Except this time, I couldn't even manage a quarter of the can and it got me into a coughing fit. After the coughing stopped, I leaned on the table, and rested my head on my arm. Finally learning my lesson, I started taking smaller sips at one time.

After some time, I managed to finish a third can. I looked up at the wall clock for the nth time tonight; still not sign of Soraru-san coming home. I checked my phone to see if I got any notification; none.

My eyes started feeling warm, my visions blurred.

"... Soraru-san..." I said quietly.

I picked up my hand and wiped the tears away. I straightened my back before I took a big gulp off my fourth can. So this was what it felt like to be drinking beer when you were feeling down. It didn't make me feel better about myself at all.