Goodbye - Chapter 6

Warning: This is an AU fanfiction (Sakura Tree x Boy).

If you're fine with it then please enjoy!

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

But I had to.

-

After that incident, Mafu never came by the tree anymore. Soraru sat on the branch, his hands on each of his sides, his head lowered as he looked down from his tree.

Still no sign of him.

-

"... Eh?" this was what Mafu managed to get out of his mouth after a few moments of silence.

Soraru got himself off of Mafu. With his hand on Mafu's waist, he helped Mafu back to where they initially sat when they got up the branch. Realising that Mafu was trying to keep his distance from him, he inputted a little more strength in his arm to pull Mafu closer to him. When Mafu's body was stuck to his, he sighed with satisfaction then leaned his head on Mafu's.

"I'm a cherry blossom spirit,"

He felt Mafu move his head, Soraru knew that he was trying to nod but was also trying to be careful because Soraru was leaning against him. He wanted to kiss him on the cheek but decided to refrain.

"And cherry blossoms only come by during spring," Soraru said, trying to make this as simple as it could get. "I won't be able to stay,"

"But Soraru-san, I'll be able to see you in the next spring, right? If it's only that then I can-"

"Mafu," Soraru stopped him from continuing. He was really happy that Mafu was willing to wait for him but it hurt. It hurt to imagine Mafu waiting for him on every spring, only to find the him who would have his memories erased already. "Please don't,"

"But why, Soraru-san?" Mafu moved his head, pulling away from Soraru. "I would not understand if you don't say things clearly," he frowned, wrinkles forming in between his eyebrows. Soraru wanted to reach out to smoothen them out, instead pulled back before he did. And Mafu definitely noticed that he hesitated, but he said nothing, only deepening the frown at him.

"I don't want to hurt you,"

"You won't,"

Soraru sighed, combing his hair to the back out of frustration. He told himself to not show these feelings to Mafu but still ended up doing it anyway. And look at what he brought to himself? He did not know why he lost it there, the one thing that he remembered out of it was that he was very thrilled when he found out that their feelings were mutual and did, well, 'that'.

"Mafu, you don't understand,"

"That's right, I don't," Mafu snapped, he said loudly, upset at the fact that Soraru does not want to give him any explanation then expect him to just accept everything he just said. "I don't, which was why I wanted to hear it from you. Why aren't you giving me a chance to understand?"

Mafu drew in a small breath, lowered his head, and said, "I like you," in a soft voice, sounding as if he was about to break down. Soraru could feel weight on his chest, causing him to have difficulty in breathing. He tilted his head to the side so that he could peek at Mafu's face. He definitely had tears threatening to fall off but Soraru could see that he was keeping them in. Soraru reached his hand out to move Mafu's bangs away from his forehead, and landed a kiss on it.

"The more there is bliss in love, the easier it is to hurt yourself," was what he said after that, his hand still on Mafu's head as he petted him gently.

Upon hearing that sentence, Mafu lifted his head up and looked at Soraru. Soraru gave him a wry smile. "Funny, isn't it? But very true," Soraru stopped petting Mafu, and placed both his hands back on his sides. He looked up at his tree, the cherry blossoms were falling off. Not much were left but it was still as dazzling as it was when it bloomed to its fullest.

"I've never liked a human," Soraru began. "Not even once in my life have I ever thought of allowing a human approach me. But then you came," He turned his head to look at Mafu as he says this. "The first time you talked to me, I initially thought 'Ah, here comes another brat', immediately labelling you as just another bratty human I've met countless of times in the past," Soraru chuckled at the thought. Mafu punched him lightly on the arm, pouting at that statement.

Soraru leaned in for a kiss. As soon as their lips touched, Soraru pulled away, and whispered, "Forgive me, okay?" Mafu blushed furiously, and hit him on the arm again.

"But I wanted to try. I wanted to try to give a chance to humans, to see if they can change my perspective of them from the bad to the good. So I told you my name," he paused for a bit, letting Mafu to say something but Mafu only gestured him to continue and so he did. "Then I changed my mind about you. When you touched my tree, when you told me that my tree was warm. I knew at that moment that you were different. I then started observing you.

"At first, the things I observed about you was really general, but before I knew it, my eyes were always on you. Tiny details like how you always toy with your hair when you're nervous by curling them around your forefinger, how you always eat food with great satisfaction even though the food wasn't even all that great, and how your eyes sparkle when you talk to me. All of that made me realise a lot of things,"

"Then why are you pushing me away?"

"Liking someone doesn't mean that one can have them. That would be selfish of me to keep you by my side," he locked Mafu's gaze with his, not allowing him to avert them from his. "Because I will forget about you, Mafu. Only the feelings will remain, but I will never be able to remember who you are. Which is why I am saying this now,"

"I do not love you, so please forget about me as I do with you,"

-

Mafu left immediately after that. Dropping himself off the branch, spraining an ankle as he landed. It broke Soraru's heart to see him in pain but he pretended to not see it happen. He turned his head away from Mafu so that he would not do anything unnecessary to give Mafu hope. If it meant that mean words and actions could prevent Mafu from suffering from these feelings for his entire life, if hurting him could make him forget, then Soraru would gladly do it. Anything to keep him from getting hurt.

Even so, Soraru wanted to see him. He wanted to feel his presence beside him. But he knew it was for the better.

Spring was almost over. Soraru lifted his head up, facing his tree, he closed his eyes. To be honest, he did not want Mafu to forget about him. Why would he? He asked this question to himself for the nth time today. Soraru never knew he would see this day come, the day where he wished he could have his memories not erased.

At least for one last time, he wanted to see him. As Soraru held onto these strong thoughts, it started to rain for the first time in spring. The rain started out small but slowly poured down heavily, getting Soraru drenched in no time. Water dripped down from the edge of his hair, he stared out at the space in front of him. He was not sure if his face was wet from the rain, or was it because of his tears.

But since nobody would know, then it's okay for me to cry, right? 

TBC

A/N: This is not related to the story but I finally got everything I wanted this month! I initially wanted this chapter to be up later in the week, then again I was really happy and just decided to throw this up today! XD Thank you for reading and have a nice day!