Oikawa Tooru - Black Petals

AU: Hanahaki Disease - FEM! Reader

Requested by liefisroosje

*cough cough* how dare you Kiwi

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

It's alright to love someone who does not love you back, as long as they're worth you loving them. As long as they deserve it.

-Cassandra Clare

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

Black flowers surrounded your bed when you woke up. You were hoping that they would stop, that you didn't feel what you did.

It has gotten worse.

Before, the flowers were blood red. Now, they were black. The pressure in your lungs grew every time you took a breath, but you had to keep going. If you were going to die soon then you had to see him again.

You slowly sat up in your bed and took deep breaths through your mouth. It helped a little, until the flowers came. A strong pull in your stomach made you bend forward and black roses fell out of your mouth as you coughed.

They were more frequent now. They started at the beginning of high school when you first saw him. He was a second year and a volleyball player, and you knew right then that nothing would be the same.

You officially met him when you were walking past the gym and a volleyball hit you in the face. After that, Oikawa and you became close friends against all odds.

The flowers hurt less as it become more frequent.

You've only heard random stories about the Hanahaki Disease. Most people got it cured once they coughed up flowers the first time.

You understood why the did it.

It was simple, you would get a surgery, and bang, you were cured, but it came with a price. Once you had the surgery, all of your feeling towards that person would be gone forever.

You would do it, but you couldn't image a life without him. Even though you knew that you wouldn't remember him at all, you couldn't help that there would be a feeling of emptiness.  

Once you stopped coughing, you gathered the black flowers and threw them in a trash can. You grabbed the lighter beside your bed and lit the flowers on fire.

If you were going to go up in flames, might as well bring them with you.    

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

"(Y/N)-chan!!" You turned around at the sound of your name. A happy Oikawa flung his arms across your shoulder and hugged you. "Where were you yesterday? You were supposed to meet me for lunch at the park."

"Sorry," you said. "My mom wanted me to help her out with something and I forgot to call you."

Oikawa looked at you skeptically. His eyebrows were furrowed and a small frown found his lips. "Fine, but you are not skipping on me at lunch today. I'll only forgive you because it's you."  

You smiled, but then it faded when you remembered why you didn't go.

It went bad again. You couldn't stopped coughing up the flowers. The flowers darkened, and your parents found out about your disease.

You were lying on the floor on your room, a trail of petals lead from your bed to your mouth. Your mom walked in to check if you were ready to met up with Oikawa. Normally, you were really good at hiding the flowers. When you burned them, you would let the ashes fly out your window.