Chapter 100 | Sixteen Wishes

From this chapter on, there will not be time jumps. What I mean is that chapter 101 will not be when Em and Colleen are 17 years old. In this chapter, they are 16. From now on, the time range is normal or as stated.

happy 100 chapters...let's keep reading together
________________________________

It was a Thursday morning, Brandon's weight was popped onto one leg while he stood over the stove. Him and Callie took turns making breakfast but Colleen and Em couldn't get enough of the pancakes he made. Callie was walking around the kitchen, checking off her lists to help the girls get ready for school. They were both seated at the bar stools, already eating the first few golden circles that came from the heated pan.

"Em is your homework done?" Callie asked with a scowl in her direction while she was putting a sealed container of marinated steaks into the refrigerator for tonight's dinner. The only thing audible in the kitchen was the clatter of silverware. "It better be, school starts in a half an hour." Em always need a push to get her homework done. School was her least favorite thing while Colleen constantly stressed about getting the best grades and extra credit opportunities. Em hummed, vaguely answering her mother's question. "You're sure?" She walked over to the front of the countertop. "If I were to look at it, it would be done." More silence coming from Em, who continued to gaze into her pancakes. "Elizabeth Marie Foster you need to get your homework done," she warned.

"Damn," Colleen mumbled in her direction. "You just got full-named." That was always a sign of trouble.

"Colleen...language," Callie mumbled. She didn't particularly like to hear foul language coming from her children's mouths. "Anyway, we need you to stay with friend's tomorrow night," she begins to explain for both her and Brandon. But because her children are her children, she can already see Em's mouth opening, ready to argue. "It doesn't matter if you stay at the same play or not or where you stay-" She was quick to catch her words. "That doesn't mean you can stay at a boys house!

"Wait, why do we need to sleepover at a friends tomorrow?" Colleen wondered.

"It's me and dad's wedding anniversary."

"Right!" Em remembered. "Oh...and you want us out of the house so you can-" Brandon's laughs cut off her words before Callie got the chance to.

"We're gonna be home late and I don't want you staying alone by yourselves until then." She tried to play it off. That was a real reason, but it also was for another reason. No worries of waking them up. Callie grabbed a pen and paper from a drawer around the kitchen and started jotting something down. It was the address and phone number of where they were going tomorrow. She didn't notice that as soon as she started opening drawers, Brandon immediately turned his had and his body went stiff. Little did she know he had something different planned for the evening.

"We're 16-"

"Exactly. You two aren't ready to stay home alone."

"But-" Em went to argue again. She also had other plans for tomorrow that her parents didn't know about. But then she realized this really didn't foil it.

"No but's," Brandon participated as he brought a small plate over of about five pancakes stacked up. "I can't believe you don't want to go hang out with your friends." He was right, that seemed odd. Em and Colleen had conjured up a secret scheme, but now they had to rethink it.

Callie had set the pad of paper on some counter space before walking out of the kitchen and was heading upstairs to use the restroom when Em hollered that she needed a check for her home economics class. The course requires a fee for the lessons they do. Callie yelled back that her check book was somewhere in the kitchen drawers.

As Em stood to sift through drawers, it caught Brandon's eyes again. Before he could even process what she was doing. She had briefly looked through three out of the 20 drawers around the large kitchen. Right as she opened one specific drawer, Brandon was up and moving from the sink.

"No! Don't open that one..." His voice drowned out when the contents few towards the front from Em opening it quickly. Her eyes instantly met with a small, dark brown leather box with a company logo on the top. Em picked it up, inspecting the exterior while Colleen gained interest and tiptoed towards it. Brandon hurried over there, holding out his hands as he walked to try and hide it in fear Callie would come back downstairs.

"Dad..." Em slurred, popping open the box, and being flashed with a clusters of smaller diamonds around one larger, sparkly diamond. It was a total step up from the thin gold band they have now. Brandon had no intentions of replacing those ones, since they had value to them. This was just an add-on. "What is this?"

"A ring," he stated softly and simply, as if they couldn't tell. They both just rolled their eyes, waiting for the further explanation he was about to provide. "I'm gonna ask mom to marry me tomorrow." His hands became clammy just thinking about proposing.

"Aren't you already married?" Colleen wondered slowly. Neither of the girls could take their eyes off the shiny rock.

"Yeah, but I'm gonna ask her to marry me again to renew our vows."

"Aww," they both whined loudly.

"Shhh," Brandon hushed them, hearing the water run from the flush of a toilet.

"So we can be there this time and see all the loovvee..." Em's giggly attitude transformed into her shoulders shimmying with her voice and some cheerful eyes. She had always valued her parents relationship. They were so in love and you could see it every second of every day.

"Yeah, yeah," he grabbed the ring box from Em's hand and tucked it back into the drawer. "We're not going to that place she wrote down is not where we're going to be. We're going to a restaurant for like 2o minutes, then we're coming back home. So if you need us, we'll just be here."

"Don't worry, Dad. We'll be fine," Colleen whispered for them both. They heard Callie yell something from upstairs and they were all smitten about the fact she had no idea what they were talking about. They ended up looking at the clock and realizing they had to leave for school, which is probably what Callie was trying to tell them.

"And Dad?" Em added as she walked to the front door behind her sister. "Find a better place to hide it."

"I will."

________________________

A/N- Heyy! I really wanted to make this chapter longer and combine it with anniverary night, but that chapter is time consuming and I wanted to put something out there. I hope you enjoyed this short chapter! This is just the start of some shocking drama! I hope I can write to the justice of my plans! Thank you ssooo much for reading! XOXO