Chapter 55 | 'One Small Step For Man'

At 29 weeks pregnant, Callie had more and more trouble each day doing normal activities like putting in shoes, going to the bathroom, standing up from the floor, etc.

Brandon and Callie were getting ready for his competition camp thing at Juilliard on a Thursday morning. He was dressing in his suit he wears for things like this and she get into the dress she wore for New Year's. Callie was going to grab the short, strappy wedges Mariana had given her for a birthday two years ago, but decided to opt for flats to save herself the humiliation of not being able to put the wedges on herself.

Callie grabbed her gold ring on the nightstand and tried to slide it on her finger, but it wouldn't fit. It had been snug around her skin for a few weeks and she knew it would go over the limit soon. She could feel her eyes ache from the developing excess water in her eyes. She had been a little more emotional than usual.

"Callie," Brandon walked towards her, noticing her struggle with the small piece of jewelry. "It's okay. Here..." He wrapped his fingers around the back of her neck, shoveling her hair out of the way. He unclasped her necklace she always wears, took the ring from her hand, strung it onto the chain, and clasped it back around her neck, causing the coin and ring to hang loosely together. He wanted to laugh at how worked up she got about nothing, but he resisted.

"Thanks," she smiled and placed a kiss upon his lips. "So what is this thing again?"

Brandon shrugged from having to explain it for the hundredth time. "Basically there are judges and if I win, I get to play with the philharmonics."

"Which is cool, right?"

"Playing with them would be an honor."

"Well, if it's any consolation, I think you'll win hands down."

"This wasn't really about winning. It was more about learning. You said you thought I could become famous one day, well this is the start." His words made Callie smile and give him a kiss.

"You ready to do this?" Brandon took a big breath and then nodded hesitantly. "Alright, well. Let's go so you can kick some ass."

Brandon and Callie began their brief walk to Juilliard. She kept feeling a tightening in her stomach that she has never felt before. It was more uncomfortable than painful. She thought maybe it was caused by the walking and her increased heartrate from being nervous for Brandon. She brushed it off so she could see him perform.

Once they got to the doors of the concert hall, Brandon checked in and proceeded backstage, but not before noticing that Callie had a look of pain on her face as she kissed him for good luck.

"Cal, what's the matter?" He asked in the commotion of audience members flooding through the double doors of the acoustical theater.

"I just have this weird cramping. It's nothing."

"What? You should call the doctor and go get checked out now."

"B, it's nothing. I don't wanna miss this!"

"This is nothing. It's basically like an audition. It'll be boring. You've already heard my piece. Do you have your wallet with you?"

"Yeah," Callie sighed.

"Okay, good. Take a cab to the office and call Dr. Avery on your way." Brandon didn't want his 29-week pregnant wife to walk for 15 minutes, alone.

"But-"

"No, Callie. It could be nothing, or it could be one of those scary medical words he rattled off."

"But if I leave, you'll worry," she tried persuading him.