Chapter 46 | Ambivalent

Wednesday at 6:30 am, Callie's alarm goes off that she set the night before. They sky had a gray overcast. She quickly awoken and shut it off, so she wouldn't wake up Brandon. Her first class that day started at 7:15, she would have to hurry if she wanted to run her errand before then.

Callie got ready the fastest and quietest she has done ever. In the morning, she usually makes a cup of coffee, sometimes to go. She skipped that crucial part of her day because the kick-ass coffee maker they had only had one flaw, it made a huge gushing sound and beeped very loudly. Right before she went out the door, she figured Brandon would worry about her if he woke up and she wasn't in the bed or in the apartment. She quickly wrote a note with a lie on it that explained where she was.

At 7:00 am, Brandon's alarm went off. He immediately noticed that Callie wasn't next to him. Brandon walked around the apartment and couldn't find her. He then spotted a white square on the granite countertop that had scribbles of black on it.

Had to meet with a professor before my first class, talk to you later. I love you. -Mrs. Foster

Brandon laughed to himself that that's how Callie signed the note before hopping in the shower. He got dressed and was out the door in five minutes, grabbing a bagel and a coffee on his way to school. The coffee maker they have at home usually turned on automatically at seven o'clock, but Callie turned it off, and Brandon didn't know that.

During Brandon's session in the camp, the teacher he had that day taught him a trick to flawlessly execute quadruple trills and descending arpeggios. He was so excited and couldn't wait to tell Callie about his day.

When Brandon got home at about 4:30 pm, Callie was sitting at the desk in their bedroom, doing something on the laptop. He set down his backpack and kicked off his shoes. The apartment was fairly dark, reflecting the dark clouds lingering outside. He flipped on the light switch when he entered their bedroom, Callie's eyes squinted for a moment adjusting to the new brightness all around.

Callie looked like she wanted to say something, so Brandon held off on telling her about his day and let her go first.

"I'm pregnant," she spoke, never taking her eyes off the screen and fingers from the keys. She said it like it was something you would say everyday; or like saying something obvious, like the sky is blue and the grass is green.

Brandon's eyes widened and his mouth opened slightly, he was not expecting that to come out of her mouth. "W-what? How?" He stuttered.

"Well you know how, Brandon." She gave him a scowling side eye.

He scoffed. "I mean, how did you find out? Are you having symptoms?" He knelt by the chair she was sitting in as he spoke. There were so many questions swirling in his mind, but those two were the only ones he could make out through his shock. How is this even possible? Callie had her ectopic pregnancy only a few months ago, the doctor practically said she could never bear children, what in the hell was going on?  She still had her eyes glued to the screen, scared to make eye contact. "Callie please look at me." He breathed in a desperate act.

"I can't really explain it," she turned in the chair to face him. "I just had a feeling. Not a feeling that I was, but just a weird feeling."

"W-were you l-la-" He stuttered again, but Callie interrupted him, knowing what he was going to ask and knowing that he was uncomfortable talking female functions, but didn't mind if it were to come down to it.

"No not really. Well I haven't had one since before the surgery. The doctor did say that it would take a few months for them to start coming back and occurring regularly, since she put me on birth control."