Chapter 28 | Déjà Vu

Something crawled in Lena and Stef's stomach. Hearing words that were vaguely similar to those they heard a year and a half ago before Callie and Brandon ran away, made them get goosebumps up and down their entire body. They had no knowledge of the relationship Brandon and Callie have had, but those words still made them worry about what was to come.

Brandon had been lingering a little too close so he could hear their conversation, while Jesus did most of the work cutting the giant cake. He knew it was time when he saw Callie look back with fear, yet confidence, in her eyes.

"Can we, uh, go in another room to talk?" Brandon spoke softly has he took steps closer to Lena, Stef, and Callie. He looked back at Jude, Mariana, and Jesus gathered around the kitchen table between his words.

Stef and Lena answered in their actions, they walked into the family room and each sat down in the  chairs. Brandon and Callie followed, taking a seat on the couch. Mariana watched as they all walked out of the kitchen, but didn't act on her suspicions.

"Is this a conversation I should be sitting or standing for?" Stef asked, growing antsy from the silence in the room.

No one answered. Brandon and Callie didn't know what to say or know how to even begin to explain. The kept their eyes on the floor until Callie attempted to put her feelings into words.

"I don't want to be adopted." Callie started confidently.

"Uh...why?" Lena shifted her eyes between the two kids in front of her.

"We..." Brandon began.

"Oh my god. Please don't tell me this is what I think it is," Stef stood up from the chair and starting pacing with her face in her hands. She had no clue of anything between them since they ran away, but something in their eyes, their posture, their tone, it was all too strangely familiar.

"What? What?" Lena was confused.

"We're together," Callie said as if it was a question. "Should we tell them everything?" She whispered to her left. Brandon nodded.

"What do you mean?" Stef said sternly with flared nostrils.

"It started a few months after we ran away." Callie began to speak of what Stef really wanted, an explanation.

"That was over a year ago," Stef pointed out.

"What started? You said it was over, both of you, said it was over for good," Lena tone was now as angry as Stef's.

"Our relationship. If you can even call it that. And it was over, but then we started again," Callie laughed a little under her breath.

"Did something happen? For you two to start things back up, behind out backs!" Stef snapped. "And you've picked a very convenient time to tell us this, right before you are supposed to leave! What are you two thinking?" Her mind was moving one million directions until it came to a good question. "Did you two...are you two...having sex?"

The tension in the room could be cut with a knife. Brandon and Callie had scrunched eyebrows and guilty in their eyes, their mouths unable to make words. Lena and Stef knew they had their answer.

"Oh my god," Lena thought the lies were never going to end.

"What's going on?" Mariana asked as she came into the room with a confused look on her face, Jude and Jesus soon followed. Everyone ignored, more like didn't notice, their entrance.

"How the hell did we miss this?" Lena shouted to Stef as she stood up to mimic Stef's pacing movements. She wasn't shouting and yelling at Stef, it was more like she was shouting and yelling with her.