Chapter 32 | Unexpected Visitor

"Dad?" Brandon spoke with his eyes widened and mouth open. "What are you doing here?" Him and Callie couldn't believe who was standing in front of them in the middle of New York.

"I could ask you the same thing," Mike spoke as if he were disappointed. He couldn't help but squint when something gold shined in his eyes from the fluorescents of the elevator. He looked for the origin and was surprised when it was a ring on Callie's finger.

"You didn't answer my question," Brandon tried to distract his father. "What are you doing here? Here in New York, here in this hotel." The doors of the elevator came open as it hit the lobby floor.

"I could ask you the same thing," he repeated with his hands in the pockets of his jacket. Brandon was irritated that Mike wasn't answering him and Callie could tell.

"Why don't we go home and we can all talk there?" Callie said as she shoved her hand into the door space to keep it from closing. 

"Home?" Mike asked. He didn't expect them to be homeless, but he thought maybe they were living in the hotel for the time being.

"Fine, let's go," Brandon spoke sternly and walked out, heading for the front door. Callie and Mike followed closely behind.

"Should we get a cab or..." Mike looked down the street as soon as they hit the sidewalk.

"Our place isn't that far from here," Callie was nervous. "We could walk, we'll be there is five minutes, 10 minutes tops." The boys nodded and off they went. Now that they were outdoors in open air, Brandon and Callie thought the hot air would vanish, but they were wrong.

Their minds were rushing. They practically speed walked to their apartment to just get whatever Mike was going to say or do over with. He couldn't drag Callie and Brandon back to San Diego kicking and screaming, so that put their mind at ease a little bit.

Once they all got to the apartment, Mike took a seat on one of the chairs in the living room and Callie and Brandon took a seat on the couch, the tension-filled air still lingering.

"I'm not here to yell at you, I think your mothers did that enough already." Mike was more worried than hurt. "I'm not gonna lie, I'm mad, or at least I was. I always had this feeling in the back of my head that you two would do something like this."

"How mad is everyone still?" Callie raised her head.

"Lena and Stef are infuriated and I don't see that going away anytime soon, same with Jude. I don't think he'll ever forgive you. Jesus is over it, although he was angry for a few days. Mariana is still mad, but I think she's more mad that you didn't tell her than about anything else."

"So, what are doing here? And why? Why now? We've been gone for a week." Brandon asked again, this time he wasn't going to let 'I could ask you the same thing' as an acceptable answer.

"I just wanted to see it for myself and see that you were okay. I actually didn't know how everything went down until I came to the house to say goodbye and good luck before you were supposed to leave that day, but when I got there both of you were already gone."

"How did you know where we were?"

"I'm a cop, it wasn't hard-"

"Do you use that has an explanation for everything? Just because you're a cop, it doesn't mean you're Sherlock Holmes." Brandon interrupted.

"Brandon," Callie warned in a hushed voice.

"I went to the NY police station and asked if there has been anything out of the ordinary. They wouldn't tell me anything until I showed them my badge. It just so happens that at that same time, they were getting a complaint about a disturbance in hotel. That specific hotel usually doesn't get that many complaints, but when they do, the hotel usually handles it pretty good. The station considered it out of the ordinary. So, then today I went to the hotel, flashed my badge, asked for the guest registry on the floor of the disturbance, and there it was; 'Brandon Foster + one - floor 20, room 31.' Then boom, there you were in the elevator."