Chapter 26 | Romanticism

It was a rainy Friday morning; no thunder, no lightning, just peaceful, steady rain. Everyone was gathered around the kitchen table, passing around a huge stack of pancakes, each kid placing a few on their own plates. A bowl of assorted fruit and orange juice were also roaming around the table.

"Mariana, why were you screaming last night?" Jude asked, pouring syrup on his pancakes. "I heard you scream in the family room."

"I was watching Grey's Anatomy." Mariana confessed quickly.

"What's that?" Jude questioned with a mouth full of food.

"It's this tv drama that's super overrated." Callie answered.

"Hey! Don't hate Grey's unless you've watched Greys!" Mariana was on the defense. Callie put her hands up in surrender as she turned her body to stand up and walk to the sink to wash her hands after peeling an orange.

"Like anyone would watch your lame show." Jesus added.

"Whoa-" Mariana's words got cut off.

"Okay, okay, settle down." Lena said before a fight broke out about a television show.

"I hope it stops raining soon." Stef changed the subject.

"What?" Brandon, and well everyone, was confused.

"Lots of rain equals lots of accidents, which means a late day."

"Oh, what does everyone want for dinner? Is tacos okay?" Lena asked with hers wide.

"Sounds good to me, love." Stef ensured and all the kids mumbled along in agreement.

"Okay, I'll go to the store after school," Lena looks at her watch. "Alright kids, let's get movin'!"

Plates and forks clink while the kids get up from the table, grab their backpacks, and rustle out the front door, Lena and Stef saying their usual I love you's and goodbye's.

At 3:00 pm, Brandon and Callie found themselves at the same double door exit at school, looking out at the rain, that had been pouring harder and harder every hour, out the window panels. So by the end of the school day, it was coming down pretty hard.

"Oh geez, it's raining really hard." Brandon stated the obvious while him and Callie watching kids running down the sidewalk to get to shelter inside a car.

"It's weird because it's only raining. You would think since it's so hard, there would be some thunder and lightning." Callie puckered her lips. "I was going to walk home today, too."

"I drove today."

"Oh, that's right." Callie remember that him and Lena both drove their cars that day. "Perfect. You ready to run like you never have before?" She giggled.

"Yeah, I guess." He sighed. Brandon and Callie opened the doors simultaneously and ran like the wind. They ran on the sidewalk, through some muddy grass, and into the parking lot. By the time Brandon and Callie got to car, their clothes were dripping. They were stuck standing at the doors of the car because Brandon couldn't get the key in the slot through the rain.

"Brandon!" Callie yelled, yanking on the car door handle.

"I'm trying!" He laughed, finally opening the door, pressing the unlock button so Callie could open the passenger door, and jumping into the car as fast as possible. Callie mirrored his actions by getting in the car as soon as she could. Their doors shut simultaneously.

"Oh my gosh, I'm soaked!" Callie said as she jerked her hands through the air to try and get the water off them.

"It looks so much darker out here than it did inside." Brandon leaned forward in his seat.