Chapter 57 | Trial and Error

Callie, Em, and Colleen were discharged three days after their arrival at 7:50 pm, a relatively late time for patients to be off the hook. As Brandon and Callie were gathering their things, they got emotionally ready to hold their newborns in the back of a disgustingly filthy cab. But, they couldn't have been more excited to take their girls home.

It was late when they finally got home and the first thing they did was put Em and Colleen to bed in the nursery. Brandon and Callie could barely keep their eyes open. Callie took a shower immediately after putting the girls to sleep. She hadn't showered since they got to the hospital. Her skin was covered in tears, and baby saliva, and things she couldn't even remember. The second her head hit the pillow after she cleaned off, she almost feel asleep. But there was something keeping her from doing so...pain. The incision site from her C-section was stitched, bruised, raised, and itchy, and her underwear band wasn't helping the matter. Callie got an idea when she heard Brandon tiptoe into their dimmed bedroom after changing a last minute diaper. She gently and slowly rolled onto her feet, walked around the bed, stopped Brandon from getting into bed by blocking him with her body, shimmed her usually comfy, but now causing her an unbearable amount of pain, underwear until it hit the floor. Brandon just stared at her as she moved ridiculously slow.

"Callie, what are you doing?" He asked in a whisper while having his eyes glued to her as she dropped to her knees with her eyes half open. She grasped the band of his boxers around his hips and gently tugged them down.

"Callie, what are you doing?" He repeated, lightly laughing. She grabbed his bedside table to help her stand up.

"Step out," she mumbled, tapping his leg.

"What?" He didn't understand what she was doing, but stepped back anyway. Callie bent over and picked them up, sliding them onto her legs and up her hips. Since they were Brandon's, they were a little big on her, so she could pull the waistband up to her bellybutton, leaving baggy fabric hovering around her. A faint smile appeared on her face because there was no fabric rubbing against her scar anymore. Brandon realized why she just stole his underwear.

Callie proceeded to go to sleep by sitting back on the bed and rolling over to her side. She looked back at Brandon one more time before shutting her eyes. She had left him in a t-shirt and nothing else.

"If you wanted a pair of my boxers you could of asked for one, you didn't have to pry one off my body," Brandon laughed, but not too loud because of the babies. Callie just hummed while she pulled the covers over her and indulged in her pillow.

Brandon laid down beside Callie and placed a kiss on her forehead before leaning over and turning off the lamp. He was just like Callie, as soon as his head hit the pillow, he almost instantly fell asleep. Parenthood for four days was kicking their asses, but they loved every minute of it. Even every drop of bodily fluids, they cherished. They made those girls from scratch, when Callie had a little chance of even having one baby, let alone two.

Even only been alive for 75 hours and only having them home for one night, Em and Colleen had personalities already, different but equally great. Em was a little more fussy while Colleen could let you hold her for hours on end. Em is up several times throughout the night and Colleen only woke up once to eat. Brandon and Callie couldn't stop cherishing every single moment.

Although the love of being a mother and a father was present, this was only the beginning for sleep deprivation, long nights, sore body parts, etc.

About two weeks later, things improved for Brandon, Callie, Em, and Colleen, but they didn't. The girls had gotten a little better about sleeping all night long, but they knew that the babies wouldn't start doing so for a while. Brandon and Callie were doing better on functioning on little sleep too, and she learned how to take care of both of them while Brandon was at school during the day. Although, she was preparing for her finals that were in a few weeks, and that was difficult trying to balance that, plus regular school work, plus Em and Colleen. But they managed.

Brandon felt a lot of pressure, but they put it on him himself. He felt guilty that he had to leave, keeping track of two two-week old babies was harder than Brandon and Callie ever expected. Although, he understood that the mother of newborns were a little busier than the father, in the matter of dealing with her postpartum care and breastfeeding, while taking care of babies.

One night, Brandon and Callie were getting some well deserved and desperately needed sleep. They put Em and Colleen down early and fell asleep around nine. About five hours went by without either of the girls to wake up in a loud cry, it was almost too good to be true. It was like every night was roulette. Brandon and Callie didn't know how many times they were gonna be woken up by the beautiful, but horrible, baby girls sleeping in the next room. They tried to take turns with who was going to get up to deal with whatever the problem was, but sometimes in was inevitable that Callie would be the one to get up to feed which ever one woke up, or possibly both.

Around 2:30 am, Callie and Brandon heard light wailing coming from the monitors sitting on both of their bedside tables. Both of them could tell it was Em.

"I can get up," she mumbled to him, lifting her head up with her eyes still half closed.

"No, I can do it," Brandon told her and jumped up from the bed, acting like he just drank a pot of coffee. "You were the one carried them for nine months..." he began in a whisper, leaning over the bed to her. "...you are their main food source...you were the one in labor for 19 hours-"

"Okay!" Callie cut him off.

"The least I can do is get up in the middle of the night when they cry." Suddenly, they hear another whining sound coming from the monitor...Colleen woke up. Callie began to lean up, rubbing her eyes in the process but Brandon pushed her back down.

"Can you handle both of them?"

"I got this."

"What if one of them is- or both of them are hungry?"

"There's still milk in the fridge from when you pumped earlier."

"Yeah, okay," Callie conceded, laying her head on the pillow comfortably.

_____________________

A/N- I know this chapter is a little on the shorter side, but bear with me! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and thank you for reading! XOXO

3 DAYS UNTIL SEASON 4 AIRING ON FREEFORM JUNE 20 8/7c BE THERE OR BE SQUARE