Chapter 10 | Rapid Rates

Slowly, over the next few weeks, Brandon and Callie returned to their normal behavior. Callie no longer avoided speaking, she no longer kept her head down, she no longer purposely tried to avoid Brandon. Brandon no longer avoided making eye contact with Callie. They had had a very good brother-sister relationship. Even though they didn't show their love, it was still there. Callie just held it in deeper than Brandon.

Brandon had had enough. He wanted to know how Callie had gotten over them so quickly. It had only been a couple weeks since they ran away.

It was a Saturday morning and everyone was downstairs except for Brandon, who was in his room, and Callie, who was in the bathroom. Just as he opened the door to his room, Callie opened the door from the bathroom. Brandon quickly pulled Callie into his room and gently shut the door, to not draw attention.

"What the hell, Brandon?" She spoke softly.

"What the hell back at ya."

"What?" Callie was confused.

"How can you do this?" Brandon noticed the even more confused look on Callie's face. "So you're just like over me?"

"What?" She said again.

Brandon continued to speak, "You don't seem that upset about us, anymore."

"Well, neither do you!"

"Are you kidding me? It's killing me. You don't seem like you give a rat's ass about me."

"Okay, I don't know where this is coming from, Brandon. We didn't work, Brandon. It was never going to work. You can't keep doing this! You can't keep pulling me back!" Callie blurted as she walked out of Brandon's room.

Callie went into her room and sobbed. She was doing so good in getting over Brandon, but he keeps scrubbing the layers of her emotions. She had to get over it. She just had too. But during dinner that night, something came over her. A feeling she has never felt before. While everyone was having conversations around the table, she stared at Brandon. No one seemed to notice, except for Brandon. She could feel her heart beating faster than normal. Callie thought it was going to pump out of her chest.

Her heart kept beating at this new rapid rate for the remainder of the evening. Everyone was getting ready for bed when suddenly Stef and Lena shout 'lights out.' She laid in her bed for an hour, but for some reason, she couldn't fall asleep if her life depended on it.

The house was completely silence, except for faint sound of musical notes. Everyone was asleep, so Callie tiptoed out of her room, trying desperately not to wake Mariana. Once she got to the hallway, successful with the task of not waking 'the beast,' she realized that the noise was pouring out from Brandon's room. Callie tiptoed further to the door to notice that the song was her song. The one he wrote for her. She built up the courage and quietly twisted the door knob, walked in, and closed the door as gently, and fast as she possibly could. The music stopped suddenly as Brandon turned around and stood up from his keyboard.

"What do you want, Callie?" Brandon asked quietly. There was no answer. He walked closer. "Callie?" He asked again. She was just staring at him. Her heart was beating even faster than it was before. Her breathing was erratic, and Brandon noticed. They were only a few feet apart.

All time stopped. It was just Brandon and Callie in the dimmed room. They had forgotten everything. Nothing mattered. It was like their minds were one. 

Brandon grabbed Callie's cheeks and pulled her closer to his body. He planted his lips onto hers. There body's synced together in movement. Brandon's hands moved down Callie's body and a groan escaped her lips. She couldn't help it. He couldn't help it. Brandon hoisted Callie up onto his desk. She yanked at his shirt and pulled it over his head. He did the same with her shirt, leaving her completely topless. Brandon's lips traveled up and down Callie's upper half until they returned to her lips. Callie jumped off the desk and pushed Brandon onto the bed, still having their bodies and lips stuck like glue.

It was six in the morning when Callie woke up in Brandon's bed. No one was awake yet. She slowly unwrapped the arm around her body and rolled onto the floor. She quickly gathered her clothes, which were spread out all over his room. Callie managed to dress herself, slip out of Brandon's room and into her own, without waking anybody up. Callie slowly climbed into her own bed and was safe, until the wood creaked under her foot that just left the floor.

Mariana rolled over and looked up, "where were you just now?" She questioned.

"Bathroom," Callie responded, thinking of the first thing that popped into her head, because saying 'oh I was in Brandon's room, completely naked a couple minutes ago' was an unacceptable answer. Callie was relieved when Mariana rolled back over and didn't give her third degree questioning. She tried falling back asleep, but couldn't with all the thoughts and worries running through her head. Callie finally did fall asleep at around eight o'clock in that Sunday morning.