Chapter 64 | Rolling Down the River

The sound of Brandon's Christmas CD gift to Callie flooded the kitchen as she prepared sandwiches for lunchtime. Brandon was playing with Em and Colleen, who were laying on a blanket in the living room on top of a rug for extra comfort.

The lyrics ...you vandalize my neighborhood, with your piercing eyes and devilish charm, love love love is my crime... waved through the space. Callie couldn't help but question it, rubbing it in.

"Do you really think that?" She hollered over the counter top, chopping a head of lettuce.

"Think what?" Brandon popped his head up, needing her to go a little further in detail.

"Do you think I have piercing eyes and a devilish charm?" She smirked, keeping her eyes locked to his as she continued cutting.

Brandon sucked in his teeth, creating a quick noise as he rattled the clear ball with multi-colored beads inside. Callie let out a deep chuckle before she abruptly  felt a sharp, scraping pain on her finger.

"Ow!" She shouted, looking down at the small amount of blood gushing from her finger and onto the cutting board. "Fu..." her words faded, not wanting to swear in from of Em and Colleen.

"What happened?" He hollered, standing up from the ground, setting the ball on the table, and running over to her side.

"The knife slipped." She went to the sink and ran her bloody finger over the water to get a better look at the cut. She sighed as she inspected the gaping slit on the tip of her middle finger. "Do you think I need stitches?"

All of sudden, in the midst of grabbing a paper towel to apply pressure, they heard loud thud then a baby briefly cry and  knew it was Colleen. They shot their heads in the babies direction before rushing their way and her wailing dissipated as soon as they got to her. "What the hell happened?" She asked in a panic, looking at Colleen on her stomach touching the coffee table and Em all the way across the room, which is where they both remembered them being. Brandon noticed the toy ball that was on the table was now on the ground.

"Oh my god, I think she rolled over, bumped the table, and the toy fell on her."

"What? She rolled over?" She had totally forgotten the main point here.

"I think so," Brandon laughed. "They were over there." They looked at Em will her arms and legs sprawled out with a giant, slobbery smile on her face.

"That ball's kind of heavy, I think we should should take her to get checked out." Callie's panicky tone returned and she stood up to walk and grab Em.

"Really? I think she's fine." He looked back down to Colleen, who was making faint ah sounds. "Callie, she's smiling and goo-goo ga-ga-ing."

"Brandon," she said in annoyance, bobbing up and down with Em in her arms. She didn't need anyone to cross her when it came to her babies.

"Fine," he reluctantly sighed. He picked up Colleen and hustled into the nursery to grab the stroller and a diaper bag. They were out the door in less than a minute and Callie didn't even remember that her finger was still gushing blood into the paper towel.

"Ugh," she grunted when she noticed a drop of blood hit the sidewalk where she was about to walk.

"Yeah, you should probably get checked out too."

Callie shrugged as they continued the short walk to the emergency room. That was another thing that Brandon and Callie liked about the location of their apartment. If God forbid anything was going to happen to either of them, or happen again, the hospital was less than five minutes away. Plus, Brandon's school and Callie's former school where an equal distance from either way.