Chapter 63 | The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Brandon and Callie woke up peacefully around 9:30 on a Wednesday morning. They were really enjoying being able to sleep in later than usual. Since Em and Colleen are now three months old, they started sleeping for longer periods of time during the night. He rolled over and looked at the visual monitor on his nightstand. He smiled when he saw both of his daughters fast asleep, looking like little angels all sprawled out like they were. He turned back to see Callie gazing at him, enjoying his messy and sleepy appearance.

Brandon slowly rolled towards Callie, humming in the process, and placing his hand on her hip while the other was propping up his head. She had a grin plastered on her face when he leaned in and pressing a lingering, gentle kiss on her lips. Just as they were about to move into a more comfortable position for the actions in their minds, they heard cute oohs and aahs coming from the audio baby monitor on Callie's nightstand.

"Mhm," she groaned in disappointment, but then perked up because she started thinking about Em and Colleen. "Duty calls." She swung her legs over the bed, got to her feet, and strolled into the nursery. Brandon reluctantly followed her and was greeted by a smiling baby girl gripping Callie's hair. He grabbed Colleen, who was still in her crib, and gave her a quick diaper change before meeting Callie in the kitchen.

"It's crazy how fast they're growing," he said referring to the babies.

"I know," Callie agreed. "Like look how they're tracking me right now." She purposely paced around the kitchen to show how Em and Colleen were following her with their eyes.

"Ah," Em breathed lightly. Both her and Colleen had began making faint sounds in their three months of living. Callie hopped on the counter after she put Em in the high chair.

"So...what's the plan for today?"

"What do you mean?" He wondered.

"We've been stuck in this apartment ever since we got back from San Diego. We should go do something."

"I actually wanted to eat in tonight. Maybe we could just go for a walk, then go to the store, and cook when we get home. And maybe some other stuff, later."

"Yeah, that sounds okay," Callie shrugged.

Brandon and Callie had been playing with the girls for the majority of the day, opposed from their nap times. They couldn't believe the tremendous strides they were making. They could keep their heads up while laying on their stomach, they flailed their arms which made a huge mess while taking a bath, they were smiley, they were focused...the list could go on and on. Their personalities were shining through more and more each day. Colleen was a little more laid back. She went with the flow. Going outside...sure, why not? Having a nap...sounds good! Getting a bath...why the hell not? Em was the total opposite. She was dramatic as hell. At times, she had to be held every second or else she would whine, and at other times, it was like she craved being alone. Brandon and Callie thought it was the strangest thing.

Around three in the afternoon, the family of four were out the door and off on their walk. Everything was blissful and cheery, until a grumpy, old woman sitting on a bench at a crosswalk was staring...hard. They got stares all the time, which they understood but they didn't at the same time. Yes, they were teenagers with two kids, but it's not weird. Even though this type of thing doesn't get to them, the fact that these people had no idea who they were or the truth. Brandon and Callie couldn't be happier. However, something about this elderly woman made her look like she was about to explode onto them any minute.

"Can I help you?" Callie sassed as she looked back at the lady. She wouldn't have been able to hear Callie through the loud streets if she hadn't been so damn nosy.