Chapter 37 | Home

Callie slowly walked down the hallway to their apartment door, clutching her blanket that Brandon brought her while she was in the hospital. Brandon was following closely behind her, carrying the hospital bag he brought too. It was about 11:35 pm, a few days after Callie collapsed onto the kitchen floor.

"Where's the key?" She asked, struggling to stay upright because of her discomfort as she leaned against the wall. Brandon dug in his pockets until he found it and opened the door. Callie slowly bent down to pick up the bag but he stopped her.

"Whoa, whoa! Let me get it!" He reached down and grabbed the bag before pushing the door open further for Callie to walk in.

"Brandon, I'm fine. That's why the doctor let me go home today." She shrugged, walking in and going directly to lay down in their bed.

"She still said you need to take it easy." He tossed the bag onto the floor, then rushed over to Callie, who was folding down the blankets on the bed to get in. "Let me help."

"Thanks," she mumbled as Brandon tucked the blanket around her and rested her head comfortably on her pillow.

"You need anything?"

"Nope, I'm good." Callie was a little blue, and so was Brandon. They didn't know how to feel or what would be an appropriate reaction to the most recent events.

"Okay, so now that you're in your own bed, I-I gotta tell you something." He said with his hands on his hips. Callie was immediately intrigued.

"Mariana called me," he spoke wearily.

"What did she say? What did you say?" She sat up, with much trouble.

"She left a voicemail. It was when you were in surgery."

"You waited until now to tell me?" Callie wasn't mad. "After you said we need to tell each other everything."

"I know, Callie. I'm so sorry-"

"I'm just kidding. It's fine. What did the voicemail say?"

Brandon's face relaxed. "She said she was sorry. Sorry that she reacted badly, and something else, I don't know she was talking really fast." They laughed. "But she said she's moving here, to New York-"

"What?" Callie interjected.

"She got an early expectance to Columbia, to become a lawyer."

"The university? She's 17."

"I guess she had all her credits to graduate early, so all she needed was to take this weird, freakishly hard exam or something the first day of this school year. But yeah, she's coming here in a month."

"Wow, I guess Mariana really is that smart. Did she say anything else?"

"Uh, yeah. She said that she wanted to meet, when she got here." Brandon sat down on the bed.

"Is she gonna live in the dorms or something? Won't she be behind?"

"Only by a few weeks." He took a deep breath. "You wanna tell her? W-when we see her."

"Tell her what? We're 18 and got married or that I'm 18 and I was pregnant for five seconds before my fallopian tube burst and now I can never have children of my own?" Callie hostile and bitter words made Brandon freeze. He couldn't believe how fast she spoke. She realized how bad her tone was so she backed down. "Sorry. I'm...tired, and hormonal, and in pain, and those pain killers the doctor gave me make me feel weird. I guess we'll see how she feels about us first and then decide how much information to throw at her."

"It's alright," he kissed Callie's forehead and stood up from the bed, heading to the door.

"Hey, where are you going? It's a Thursday, you got class in seven hours." Callie reminded before looking at her clock.

"I'm gonna skip it."

"Uh, no you're not. You already took two days off, I don't want you getting behind."

"Callie, you're bed bound for the next how many ever days. I'm going to be here with you. If you stay home, I stay home. And it's only the fifth day, how exciting can it really be?"

"No, no. The doctor gave me a pass to skip school, but not you. Get some sleep and kick some Juilliard ass tomorrow."

"Okay," Brandon reluctantly let her have this one. He turned around to go into the bathroom to brush his teeth. By the time he was done, Callie was fast asleep. He climbed into bed and placed a kiss on her temple before whispering "I love you."

The next day, Callie had to admit, she was bored out of her mind while Brandon was at school. She asked her teachers via email to send her the lessons from when she was out and that kept her occupied for a little while. She went from making paper planes out of Brandon's sheet music to watching tv, to doing crossword puzzles on her phone, which she hated. She wanted to do something nice for Brandon since he has been so wonderful the past few days. But she couldn't really do anything from bed. As the time creeped closer and closer to Brandon's return home, Callie decided on getting his favorite delivery takeout food. Little did she know that when Brandon finally came home, he had Callie's favorite takeout meal in a bag in his hand. They were both so surprised and had a lovely meal in bed.

___________________

A/N- Hello readers! I know this is a very short one, but next chapter, Mariana comes! Will she be all fun and forgiving? Or mean and grueling? I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Thank you for reading! XOXO