Chapter 53 | Under Construction

The entire apartment was filled by the clatter of boards collapsing onto each other as Brandon poured the pieces of lumber out of one of the many boxes they had. A small bag a screws followed the flow of contents.

"B, the wood!" Callie shouted, referring the boards and beams of a crib hitting, and possibly damaging, the beautiful dark, cherry hardwood flooring that was all over the apartment.

"Oh crap," he frowned then got an idea and ran out, grabbing the rug they bought. He moved the single pieces of wood, rolled the white, soft rug. It was as soft as a blanket. It was a perfect fit because after the cribs, chair, and changing table was all laid out, it would snuggly enclose the remaining open wood. They thought it would be a good idea to have it because neither Brandon and Callie wanted to put their babies on hard, cold wood. "There," Brandon began placing the wood back in the center. "Now read the instructions. We can't have these collapsing on us." Callie just smirked and sat back in the rocking chair, knowing that she was right, Brandon wouldn't let her do anything more than that.

"Take those cubed bar things and shove them into the other longer bar." She pointed in conjunction with her words, which confused Brandon. They had to work out a better system for this to work.

Callie and Brandon continued putting together both of the cribs. Once they did one, he flew threw the other. Because he didn't need her to read the instructions to make the other crib, Callie began placing the white plastic bins in the closet. She needed all the help when it came to organizing. She didn't exactly know how to sort everything so she just started placing everything in it's own drawer. Onesies and union suits in one, tops, bottoms, and outerwear in another, booties, socks, and mittens after that, then towels, blankets, sheets, toys, etc. She even took it a step further and placed the stuff that would fit right when they're born closer to the front of the drawers, then gradually transitioning into older month clothes. Callie organized the lotions, shampoos, and body washes on the top of the bins. She placed the several boxes of diapers and wipes on the sides, saving the things like diaper cream, baby powder, etc. for the baskets that were in the changing table. Callie put the diaper bag and hospital bag that her and Brandon had yet to fill on top of those boxes. She had a little basket for herself on the top rack that was in the closet that included things for her postpartum and breastfeeding. They already had bottles in the cabinets in the kitchen. It became real, more than it was, when they started seeing everything come together.

"Callie," Brandon called out from behind. She turned around and was shocked that he had already put the changing table together. "I don't think we should put the sheets and stuff on until we wash them with the gentle fabric detergent."

"Uh...Okay," she wasn't sure what she was more surprised about, the fact that he put that together really fast or the fact that she was so focused and didn't hear all the boards being drilled together. "I could of helped you."

"That's okay," he stood up from being on his knees, aching slightly. "It was good therapy," he laughed.

"Therapy? What's on your mind, B?" She asked, eyeing him as he walked towards her and wrapped his arm around her back, admiring how the room was coming together.

"Oh it's nothing. Just this camp is getting under my skin."

"Wait that camp thing at Juilliard? That's still going on?"

"Yeah," Brandon sighed. "It doesn't end for another two months."

"Really?" She questions as they walked to the kitchen. "What exactly is it again?"

"It's like this program where you can compete at the end and if you win you get to perform with the philharmonics at an unchosen location."

"What?"

"The directors haven't decided on whether they wanna do it here in New York or in Los Angeles."

"Why would they have it in LA if we're here in New York."

"I think they said something about the Lincoln Center being booked for that date by some ballet company or something." Callie hopped on the bar stool as Brandon went to grab a cup for a glass of water and saw all the baby bottles. "Oh, do you wanna put something on the walls?"

"What?" Callie repeated.

"The walls in the nursery. They're bare. I know we decided on white and people usually put cheesy decals on them."

"Did you have anything in mind?" Callie asked, reaching over the counter to grab the jar of granola.

"Actually, I do." He walked over to his key board and brought a few pieces of paper back to the kitchen. "I was thinking we could frame some sheet music and some of the black and white photos you took the other day and hang them up. I also thought we could get different kinds of mirrors, those little circle ones and some square ones, I think it'll look cool when the sun from that tiny window reflects off them."

"I love that idea," she smiled, but instantly frowned when she didn't want to leave. "We don't have to go get mirrors and frames today do we?"

"No," Brandon laughed. "What do you want for dinner?"

____________

A/N- I hope two short chapters is alright with you! Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoy! XOXO