Chapter 21 | ...rain rain here to stay

Brandon stood in the door frame of the living room, frantically zooming his eyes around the room. Callie finally comes into sight when a big bolt of lightning floods the room. Callie was laying on her back on the floor in between the couch and the coffee table, rubbing her forehead.

"Callie, are you okay?" Brandon rushed over to her, kneeling down to her level, placing his hands on her shoulder and leg.

"Yeah, I fell. I heard that big bang and it made me jump, then I tripped on the rug and hit my head on the table." She sat up speaking with a hint of pain in her voice.

"Yeah, what was that?" He said, referring to the crashing sound.

"I don't know, a tree must of fell on the roof or something." Callie tried to stand up, but her knees wobbled.

"I'll help you." Brandon spoke softly, gripping onto Callie's arm and wrapping his other hand around her back, pulling her off the ground, Callie wrapping her arms around Brandon's body.

They heard Mariana, Jude, and Jesus stumbling to get to the living room so they quickly detached from each other.

"What happened?" Jude asked.

"I think a tree branch fell on the roof or something." Callie said, still rubbing her forehead a little.

"I mean with you, are you okay?" Jude slowly walked down the step and closer to Callie.

"Oh yeah, I'm fine. I tripped on the rug and hit my head."

"Should we call moms?" Jude hugged Callie.

"No, I'm fine. Everything's fine. We're all good. This will be fun, all of us here together." Callie reassured.

"There's the stuff mama left." Mariana pointed to the various items on the chair across the room and slowly made her way to it, Jesus following closely behind her. She grabbed a handful of mini candles and matches. Mariana and Jesus started lighting the candles one by one, making the room fill up with dimmed light.

"That's better." Jesus said is relief, looking up at Brandon, Callie, and Jude sitting on the couch. "I don't think there's enough candles to light up another room. And there are only two flashlights."

"That's okay. We'll all just stay in here, and if someone has to go to the bathroom or the kitchen or something, just take a buddy and a flashlight. Everything's good." Callie reassured again. She was taking charge, and Brandon was proud, but still worried about her head.

"Maybe I should get some ice." Brandon said conerningly, and began to stand up before Callie pulled him back down to the couch by his arm.

"Brandon, I'm fine. Really. Let's all just play a game or something." She looked around to see everyone's face very uninterested and unenthusiastic faces. "Oh, c'mon. It'll be fun. Like a family." She encouraged.

Everyone shrugged, but gave in. "Fine. What kind of game?" Mariana asked.

"I don't know, what do you guys think?" Callie looked around the room.

"Not a board game." Brandon hissed.

"Spin the bottle?" Callie perked up.

"Like the kissing game?" Jesus said disgusted.

"No," Callie laughed. "Truth or dare. Someone spins the bottle and whoever it lands on, they ask 'truth or dare' and whatever they say-"

"Yeah, yeah, I know how truth or dear works." Jesus interjected.

"And you can either ask 'truth or dare' or a 'would you rather'  question. Oh and we get three chickens."

"Chickens?" Jude asked.