Chapter 86 | Terrible Two's

A/N- For those who missed the author's note in the last chapter: The next 14 chapters, plus this chapter, will be in intervals of one year. What I mean, that this chapter is when the girls are two, chapter 87 will be when the girls are three, and so on until chapter 100, which will be entitled "Sixteen Wishes." I'm really excited about this new timing because I think it's just the right pace! Not to fast, but not dragging on! All of the titles will relate to how old they are, so no worries keeping up with the number! I'll try to make sure things don't get confusing!

"It was great the doctor could see us on a Saturday," Brandon chirped as Callie and him walked down the sidewalk with Em and Colleen in the stroller, which they had to repurchase because they had outgrown it. He was referring to the girls' two-year check-up, which went perfectly. They were in the growth percentile they needed to be at, had great lungs, great heartbeat...they were perfectly healthy. Callie and Brandon couldn't have been more grateful.

"I know," she sighed as she clung onto his arm while he pushed the stroller. "That way you didn't have to miss a day at Juilliard and everything worked out."

"Were you scared?" He asked and Callie didn't know exactly what he meant.

"Scared? No," she told once she realized he was talking about the appointment. "Nervous? Maybe a little..." She knew everything would be okay though.

Just as they approached the door to the apartment building, light droplets of rain began to fall from the sky. It was spring...and rain is greatly appreciated to make the flowers and plants thrive. In almost every patch of grass they had passed along the way, there were flower buds that had opened up ever so slightly.

Callie jogged to get under the awning outside the apartment building door while Brandon and the stroller followed closely behind. Once inside the warmth of the four walls of the lobby, he went ahead and pressed the elevator button while Callie grabbed their mail in the locked boxes alongside the wall.

Suddenly, both Em and Colleen became whiny, probably wanting out of the mild restraints holding them in the stroller. Callie tucked the mail under her arm and unbuckled Em while Brandon unbuckled Colleen.

"Grab my hand, let's go," Callie chirped once the elevator made the binging noise. They all walked into the confined space and instantly the girls started fighting, as much as two-year-olds can fight at least.

They became very pushy and tantrum-like but were easily persuaded to settle down. It was a love-hate thing. Brandon and Callie knew they would listen to them now, but it most likely wouldn't last the next year.

Colleen began shimming her legs in some type of dance, but Callie and Brandon got the feeling it was a little pee dance. They had just introduced the topic of potty training but they hadn't gotten them to use the 'big-girl potty' yet. They hoped this could be a time for success.

"Coco, do you have to go potty?" He asked as the elevator neared the correct floor, but Colleen shook her head roughly.

About two months ago, Colleen began successfully saying 'Em.' Although, sometimes she added an extra 'ma' to the end, making it sound like 'Emma.' Em, on the other hand, had a tougher name to try and learn. One day, Em took 'Colleen' and turned it into 'Coco.' So for now, that was her nickname, but Callie and Brandon didn't think that would last long either.

"Tub?" Em spoke in her sweet baby girl voice as they walked out of the elevator. Almost every word the girls would say was precious and made them want to melt.

"Not right now, sweetie. At bedtime you can get in the bath," Callie told her. Em loved the bath. They got the girls some child-safe color tablets that turned the water different colors. They also had some fun soap and tub-safe paint for them to draw on the tiled wall. Their drawings were just scribbles for now, but elegant scribbles nonetheless.