Chapter 62 | Comfort is Key

Brandon woke up dazed and confused on the couch fully-clothed, and alone, that Monday afternoon to the sound of his father scurrying around the kitchen, eating lunch and getting ready for his afternoon shift. He heard the sound of the coffee maker being turned on because it makes a loud beep when you press the 'on' button.

Brandon looked down at his not-so-bare body, thinking about the last thing he remembers was laying on Callie's chest naked when Mike walked in. He swung is body up and over the couch, falling to his knees, creating a loud thud that made Mike look over the counter.

"Hey, B," he spoke softly as he watched him stumble to his feet. "I thought you were in the room."

"Yeah," he began slowly while he rubbed his forehead. "Me too."

"What?" Mike laughed.

"Nothing. Where's Callie?"

"She's in the bathroom, I think. I'm pretty sure she was in the shower a few minutes ago." Mike looked as his watch. "Don't you have a plane to catch?"

"What time is it?"

"1:30."

"Oh hell," he mumbled before briskly strolling down the hallway. "Callie...we have to be at the airport like...now. We have a flight leaving in an hour!" Brandon started banging on the bathroom door when she didn't respond. "Callie! Oh-" He stops talking as soon as the door flew open, revealing her clothed body and damp hair.

"I know, I know. I was about to wake you up," she told while shuffling herself past him and into the room. Brandon had so many questions, he didn't know where to start.

"Why are we up so late? We need to be at the airport right now!"

"I know, Brandon. Well, you're a little hungover so that should explain it enough, and I set an alarm but then forgot to plug in my phone, so it died in the middle of the night."

"Bye guys! Have a save flight!" Mike shouted before going through the door.

"Bye! Love you!" Brandon hollered back. "What happened last night?" He asked in a hushed tone even though they were alone.

"Y-you don't remember?" She wondered, gathering their belongings so they could pick up Em and Colleen.

"No, no. I do...just not everything. Where did you sleep last night?"

"In here."

"So how did I get on the couch?"

"You never left the couch. Wait, what was the last thing you remember?"

"Uh...b-being sweaty, I think." Brandon's answer made Callie burst out in laughter while handing him a bundle of fabric.

"Change your clothes. What you really need is a shower but we have to go."

Callie proceeded to cart their suitcase to the door, waiting for Brandon to follow her. He showed up about five minutes later and shoved the clothes he had on before in the outside sleeve of the bag. Even after changing clothes, he still reeked of alcohol.

"Did you have trouble?" She asked, looking at the clock on her phone.

"What?"

"How long does it usually take you to get dressed?" She figured that his hungover caused some lack of balance.

"Huh?" Brandon was still a little out of it.

"Never mind," she sighed. "Let's go. We need to call a cab on the walk over."