Chapter 47 | Sinking In

The following week, Brandon and Callie both got part-time jobs. They ended up working at the same place, a local fast food chain. Even if they didn't get much money at a time, at least it was something. They still weren't sure how this would all work, but they were confident that it would in the end. They had a little argument about whether Callie should be on her feet, running around trying to serve people greasy food. But Callie is stubborn and she promised that if she felt too tired, she would quit. Although, she didn't want all that pressure on Brandon for him to provide, even though he had a big ego and felt he needed to make sure they were set.

After the second day of working after classes, Callie and Brandon were walking through the door to their apartment at about 8 pm. They were tired and hungry. Someone had bumped into him and spilt food on him at work, so he went straight to the shower.

Callie stood in the entry way, taking off her shoes before collapsing on the floor to rub her feet and give them some relief. She lightly groaned in agony. She looked off into the direction of the running water that was from the bathroom. Her cell phone rang inside her wallet that she had thrown onto the table, which maybe wasn't such a good idea. Callie slowly lifted herself off the floor and limped to her phone.

"Hello?" She spoke sleepily into the phone. She was wondering who would call so late in the day.

"Callie Jacob?" A deep voice came through the other end.

"Actually, it's Callie Foster now. Who is this?"

"Oh, yes. I know."

"Who is this?" She nervously laughed, asking again.

"I'm an estate attorney."

"Uh, how did you get this number?"

"It wasn't without difficulty," the man laughed through the phone. "I'm your mother's estate attorney."

"My mother? Like Colleen my mother?"

"Yes," he laughed again. "In the will she had, she left a portion of her assets to you."

"My mother has been dead for eight years now, why is this the first time I'm hearing of this?" Callie heard the shower stream fade away.

"It was very clear; the assets Colleen Jacob left for her daughter and son are to be given to them when they turn 18."

"I've been 18 for four months; again why is this the first time I'm hearing of this?" Brandon heard Callie speak and poked his head out the door to look at her before proceeding to get dressed.

"That was on our part, we apologize profusely. You recently moved and changed your last name, correct?" Callie hummed as an answer. "It took a private investigator and some time to find your phone number."

"I'm not that fluent in lawyer talk, so what does all this mean? What assets did my mom have?"

"With all her belongings, plus savings, the total she left for you is about $400,000." In an instant, Callie's eyebrows rose, her eyes widened, her jaw dropped, and her hand seemed incapable of continuing to hold her phone. It fell onto the floor, creating a loud thud. Brandon walked out of the room to see what the noise was and saw Callie standing as still as a statue.

"Callie?" He asked worriedly has he ran to her side, picking up the phone once he got to it. "She'll have to call you back." He said to whoever was on the other end. "Callie, what's wrong?"

"Nothing. Nothing's wrong." She was still stunned. She proceeded to tell him the conversation she just had on the phone, stuttering and slurring the words. Brandon's reaction was the same as hers. "My first Christmas with you guys, Grandma Sharon said that Stef needed to have faith that the universe with provide. Maybe this is like reassurance." Callie had never been a believer of higher powers, but she did this time, when it involved her mom. To her, it was like Colleen was approving them having a baby. In the back of her mind, she thought her mother might be disappointed in her for getting pregnant at a young age. She would never say that out loud though. "I think the universe is finally on our side."