Chapter 12 | The Big Question

Callie continued to give Brandon the cold shoulder for the next three weeks. Brandon kept trying to talk with her every chance he got, but everyday Callie got better and better at avoiding him. There were some things she couldn't dodge however, like mealtimes and the car rides to school.

Brandon wanted to talk with her, he needed to talk with her. Did the sex mean nothing? Why was she still ignoring him? How was she feeling? Hell, Brandon didn't even know the answer of the last one for himself.

One Wednesday morning, Brandon came down the stairs with the objective in his mind. Everyone was sitting at the table eating breakfast, except Callie. It was almost time to leave, is she running late? He looked around before talking a seat at the table, putting a little stack of pancakes on the plate. Brandon tried to catch up on the conversations everyone was having, seeing if they said anything about Callie. No one said on the status of her.

"Uh, where's Callie?" Brandon blurted. He tried to keep his suspicions under wrap, he didn't want anyone to know something was up. Brandon expected them to say she was running late.

"She's not feeling well, again. So she's staying home today." Stef said while pulling out the paper bags for lunches.

"Again?" Brandon questioned, trying to seem like he cared only has a brother.

"Yeah, she was sick like all day yesterday. So gross." Mariana groaned.

Brandon's objective of him and Callie talking peaked back into his brain, this would be a great opportunity for them to speak, with no one in the house.

"You know, I actually don't feel well, either." Brandon lied.

"Really? I wonder if you two ate something bad?" Lena said motherly.

"Well, I don't feel sick. What could Brandon and Callie ate that didn't affect the rest of us?" Mariana was so nosey.

"I don't know, Mariana." Lena looked at her, and then at Brandon. "Why don't you go upstairs and lay down?"

Brandon trotted his way upstairs, being quite with every step and shutting the door. He was afraid that if Callie knew they were going to be home alone all day, she would've made a miraculously recovery to get out of talking with him.

"Alright troops. Let's go," Stef said, motioning the remaining family that was in the kitchen to the door to leave.

Brandon heard the front door shut and waited about 10 minutes until he emerged from his room. Brandon walked very softly to Callie's shut bedroom door, and abruptly opened it. He didn't even knock, he wasn't afraid of waking her up of she was asleep.

"Brandon?" Callie's head turned suddenly to the door. She was sitting up against the wall, underneath the covers, with her laptop on her lap. "You didn't go to school?"

"I told them I was sick, but that's not the point, Callie. I am done with you ignoring me and avoiding me and dodging me! We are going to talk and we are going to talk now!" He said sternly.

Callie quickly put her laptop on the bed next to her feet and swept from under the blankets, standing up a few feet away from where Brandon was standing. She had questions about how he got out of school, but she decided to ignore it.

"Talk about what!?" Callie asked, not really needing too.

"You know what! " Brandon's eyebrows raised as he spoke.

"I don't know what you want me to say?!"

"Anything! Why are you avoiding me would be a good start!"

Callie's face softened, "I don't know." She murmured.

"What did it mean?" Brandon lowered his voice.