Chapter 49 | Resolutions

It was a brisk winter day in New York. It had it's first snow fall of the season the week before. Callie and Brandon were walking to their 15 week ultrasound, that was scheduled for 4:30 pm. They kept flipping back and forth between wanted to know the gender of their twins or not, if the opportunity was there.

"Well, do you want it to be a surprise or not?" Brandon tried helping them talk through their decision making.

"I don't know. We should probably start getting things for the nursery. We're still gonna have it in the guest room right?" She asked, clinging onto his arm as they came closer and closer to the doctor's office.

"That's the plan."

"Well, what color should it be?" She wanted his input, but was surprised when he gave her a glaring look. "B, we can't keep the walls beige for our children's nursery."

"Are you suggesting to gender specify our children before they're even born?"

Callie returned the same grueling glare Brandon just shot her a second ago. "Not necessarily."

"We can discuss colors another time. Do we want to find out the sex if we can?"

"Maybe he'll accidently say it, then we don't have to decide. We'll have the decision made for us," she laughed, and he joined her.

"C'mon, get in there," Brandon said as he opened the door for Callie at the office.

Every time Callie's stomach gets squirted with that cold gel, she flinches, taken by surprise. Even though she knows its coming. Dr. Avery stared at the monitor meticulously before asking about any new and worsening symptoms and more doctor-ly things like that. Brandon realized, thinking about the gender again, they didn't even know if their twins were identical or fraternal.

"Are the babies identical?" He asked.

"Yes," Dr. Avery spoke quickly, nodding along with his short answer.

"So one of us is gonna be out numbered," she pointed out to Brandon. She let out a questionable sigh. "That's a lot of testosterone or estrogen for one household." Brandon, and even the doctor, couldn't help but laugh.

"Do you wanna know the sex?" Dr. Avery wondered, calming down from the quick chuckles he just let out.

"Uh..." They said simultaneously, looking at each other.

"Can you tell the sex?" She finally spoke.

"Yep." He noticed the chilling silence flood the room and started giving a scenario that would help them choose. "If I were to write it down in your chart and exit the room, leaving the chart on the counter, would either of you look at it to figure out the sex?"

"Probably," they simultaneously spoke again, breaking out into soft laughs.

"Alright," he joined in on the light laughs. "You are having twin girls."

Brandon and Callie immediately began giggling with glee. They would've been happy either way. He bent down to place a quick peck on her lips before proceeding to talk with the doctor about a few more things.

Callie plopped on the couch as soon as they got home after stopping in the kitchen first. She scoped around until she found something she wanted...beef jerky. She usually hates it, but in that moment, her mouth watered just looking at it.

Brandon walked into the living room after his shower to see Callie sprawled on the couch. Her back was pressed against the seats, her legs were spread across the coffee table, and her shirt was half was up her stomach. The sight made him grin.

"Hey," he walked a little closer to see the several wrappers that used to house slim rods of meat. "Whatcha doing?"

"I ate all your beef jerky," she pleaded, guiltily. Brandon chuckled lightly before sitting in the little space between Callie's body and the arm of the couch, since she was laying smack dab in the middle.

"That's okay, Cals," he laughed again.

"We really need to talk about this," she perked up, having a little trouble sitting up from her belly.

"Oh, yes. The colors of the nursery-" He finished her thought, assumingly that's what she was about to say.

"Oh, no. Well, I guess we need to talk about that too."

"I was thinking white."

"Oooh."

"It's not too girly, like pink or whatever. But it would be delicate and soft-"

"Yes yes yes," she leaned in and placed happy kisses along his jaw bone.

"Wait, what were you gonna talk about?" He asked, remembering that his thoughts just clouded hers a few minutes ago.

"Oh, yes. School. I think I wanna get a business degree, online." She puckered her lips into a half smile, weary about Brandon's reaction.

"Callie, I don't know if-"

"I'll still take photos and stuff, it just wont be my career." She interrupted. "Or I guess it could be, maybe I'll start my own business one day or something." Callie could see Brandon's mouth open, about to say something. "Plus, one of us is going to have to stay home because I don't want our kids being in daycare, like I said before." Somewhere in between her words, she had migrated to his side, laying her head on his chest.

"Is this really what you want?" Brandon conceded.

"I think so. You know, it's good insurance for the future. But I wanna start it as soon as possible. I want to get into the habit and get comfortable with it before the babies come. Or should I say our girls come..." She grumbled into his neck, pulling him a little tighter.

"But why are you the one that gets to stay home?" He whined, not wanting to miss out on the experience Callie will go through.

"Because you can't become a world famous pianist over the computer. I mean if that's still what you want"

"Of course, well maybe not the becoming world famous part. It's been a dream of mine to play piano professionally-"

"Exactly," she interrupted him. "Brandon, you getting into Juilliard and being able to pay for it was a damn miracle." They laughed, they both new it was true. "You cannot give that up. You will be a great dad. Speaking of Juilliard," she tried steering the conversation into a different direction so he couldn't persuade her otherwise. "How's that camp thing...whatever it's called...going? You haven't talked about it in a few days."

"Actually it's because they are on break for some reason. I don't remember."

"On break?"

"Yeah, I think that's what they said. I don't know, I don't pay attention to the announcements they make." Callie struggled to roll over, grabbing her phone, and rolled back to Brandon's side. She began looking through her calender to see why his camp would be on break.

"Oh my god. Brandon, Christmas is in two weeks."

"We've been so into the babies," he laughed.

"So into them, we forgot one of the biggest holidays? Wait. Is the whole school on break until after New Years, oh my god, New Years."

"I think so," he laughed again, harder this time. "Now that you say that I think I knew that."

Their whole apartment filled with giggles and conversations, as they were shocked they almost forgot about Christmas coming up.

____________________

A/N- I know this was a short one, but bear with me. But #bralliebabies are girls!! I hope you still enjoyed it though :) thank you so so much for reading! You have no idea how much I appreciate all of you talking the time to read and share the joy of The Fosters with me! XOXO
ALSO, almost 6 thousand reads! That's insane!