Chapter 25 | Mariana the Detective

Callie walked out of the bathroom, hair still dripping with every step. She shut the door to her room to see Mariana sitting on her bed, typing something smart on her laptop.

"Hey, where were you last night? You never came home?" Mariana looked up at Callie, who was brushing her wet hair.

"Oh, uh, I went to Daphne's rememb-"

"Yeah, I know." Mariana interrupted.

"And it was late so I spent the night." Callie continued to speak, disregarding her interjection.

"Really? Cause I saw Daphne last night, and you weren't with her."

"What? Where did you see Daphne?" Callie had a panic in her voice.

"So you weren't with her. Where were you?"

"What?"

"If you were with her at all, but you weren't when I saw her, you would of said so. Instead, you just shot straight to the point. So, you weren't with her at all, period."

"You are scary. None of that made sense to me. You never answered my question, where did you see Daphne?" Callie walked closer toward Mariana, tossing her hairbrush onto her bed.

"You aren't answering any of mine." Mariana closed her laptop.

"I'm serious, Mariana. Wait...I thought you weren't doing anything last night."

"Mat and I went to the movies, he ended up being able to hang out. That's where I saw Daphne. Where were you last night? You little liar." Mariana joked.

"I was nowhere."

"Nowhere. Seriously?" Mariana and Callie's head turned when they heard three knocks on their door.

"Hey, did you guys eat breakfast yet?" Lena peeked her head into the room.

"Uh, no." Callie walked out of the room and proceeded to the kitchen.

"What about you, honey? Hungry?" Lena looked at Mariana, who had her lips parted slightly, realizing that Callie never answered her questions fully.

"Yeah," Mariana hopped off her bed and followed Lena down the stairs. "So, what's for breakfast?" She said as they reached the last step.

"Eggs, sausage, toast, juice." Lena said as she walked over to her seat next to Stef, looking at her Jude, Brandon, Jesus, and Callie already chowing down.

"Eggs and sausage?" Mariana walked over to the open seat with disgust on her face.

"What's wrong with eggs and sausage, miss thang?" Stef scrunched her eyebrows.

"They kill animals for that sausage, and they stuff birds in cages." She crossed her arms on the table.

"I think these ones are cage free, but I guess it will just be toast and juice for you then." Stef handed Mariana two pieces of toast, and Mariana grabbed the jug of orange juice and poured some in the glass in front of her.

"So what is everyone's Saturday plans?" Lena asked. "I have to head to school today."

"On a Saturday?" Jesus asked, sipping some orange juice.

"Yeah, I have some grant applications to do."

"Can I come with you?" Jude joined in.

"Uh, yeah, sure!"

"I have a project I haven't started on, and it's due Monday. I have to go to the library. I'll probably be stuck there all day." Mariana whined.

"Yeah, I have the same project. I have to go to the library too." Jesus informed.