Part 150

Once everyone is rounded up, including the teens with Na'haji­ who were catching food, Neteyam stands onto a rock before them, and explains himself in all seriousness. They have no choice but to try and outrun the storm at least until they find a good enough place to keep warm while they wait it out.

Such a task typically wouldn't be quite this hard, but the steadily dropping temperature poses a threat to them. Metkayina or not, freezing water is dangerous, which Neteyam makes very clear.

To keep better track of all the teens that Neteyam still wishes they hadn't brought along, everyone is instructed to pair up and share an Ilu.

A few of them, with Dale being at the head of it, decided to question Neteyam's authority, but Aonung was quick to set them straight by saying they could either listen to Neteyam, or get left for dead.

His tone alone was enough to put them in their place, and also amused Neteyam. He's still feeling a certain lasting happiness now that Aonung has his back again, literally as well, since Aonung is on the back of his Ilu. 

Kiri is paired with Sorfé. Rotxo is with Lo'ak. Spider is with Tsireya. Coona is with Na'haji. Tsui is with Yune. Bay'an is with Talon. Yori is with Shore. Fayne is with Dale.

Since there's an odd number, one quiet boy that has yet to say a word, is riding by himself. Because of that, Neteyam instructs the boy, Somtra, to stay near him and Aonung at all times.

Neteyam leads their large group away from the Three Brothers, into territory he's completely unfamiliar with, hoping they come across a place they can take shelter in, from both the storm and the temperature.

Unfortunately, the storm is traveling faster than they are, and it's closing in on them, but they've yet to find any land that they can't see, even from in the water, isn't suitable.

The Omatikayan siblings internally thank their heated Metkayinan passengers for the extra warmth they share, but even they are beginning to feel the effects of the near freezing temperatures.

Neteyam looks behind them and sees they won't be in the clear for long, and the waves have already been rough. He hisses softly in frustration, and Aonung's arms tighten around him, hoping the warmth will also calm him some.

Neteyam- Everybody check in!

While everyone is above the surface, fighting waves, there's a higher risk of being flung off the Ilu, so he checks in regularly, having memorized how many Ilu and people are supposed to be there.

Kiri- Sorfé and I are good!

Dale- Me and Fayne are here!

He listens as each voice responds, some sounding further away than others, but as long as they can still be heard it isn't an issue, and Somtra hasn't spoken but he can see him clearly staying near as he instructed.

The real problem comes when the storm finally catches up to them, engulfing them in freezing winds and blinding precipitation.

With his entire body freezing, despite he and Aonung's shared warmth, Neteyam uses every bit of endurance he has to fight the waves and cold water the best he can.

As they must do every so often, Neteyam's Ilu dives underwater, and the Sully boy suddenly shivers almost exaggeratedly as they resurface. He takes in short, sharp and cold breaths while Aonung rubs his arms through the cloak to create some heat with the friction.

Aonung- I see land. Over there, Neteyam, look.

Neteyam can hear him, but he can't form any words. His mind is blank, like it's unable to comprehend what he's trying to do. He should be turning and heading straight for the island, whether it's suitable or not.

They need to get out of the water. The darkening sky is making things all the worse. He knows once Eclipse is upon them, they'll start freezing to death.

Think.

Move.

Speak.

Do something.

He tries to command himself, but his freezing body wants to give out, and so does his consciousness. His brain can't think anymore. It's almost like a frozen state of internal panic.

Aonung- Neteyam, dive!