Part 12

As eclipse approaches and the sky begins to darken, Aonung finds him and Kiri a spot to relax on a cliff facing the ocean.

They walk up to some large rocks, and Aonung points out one Kiri can sit on. He allows her to sit first, then places himself next to her, looking out at the ocean.

Kiri has been observing the marine boy's new behavior. In her eyes it's like he went from jerk to gentleman.

She didn't protest the arrangement only because she assumed he would never actually go through with it. Now, she isn't sure how to react.

As he watches the sea, Kiri watches him. Their walk has been uncomfortably quiet, but he hasn't acted like it's bothering him.

Kiri- You're not really thinking of doing this are you?

Aonung- I'm only doing what I have to.

The boy doesn't bother to face her when he speaks. She notices how he keeps clenching his jaw tightly. He's been doing it through their walk every few minutes.

Kiri- You don't have to do this. Your mother is giving you a choice.

Aonung- And I choose what she expects of me.

Kiri rolls her eyes at Aonung's stubbornness.

Kiri- Okay, well, I'm not doing it, so I guess you'll just have to be a disappointment.

Aonung finally looks at her, though she isn't sure what the disbelief in his face is for.

Kiri- You didn't think I was just gonna go with it, did you? I have a choice too.

Aonung- So you choose to shame your family.

Kiri- My family will understand. How yours feels about you isn't my problem.

Aonung- This isn't just about me, it's about the clan.

Kiri- Well the clan can suck it up, because there's no way in hell I'm mating with you. I can't even believe you considered it, after the way you treated me.

Aonung averts his gaze, not bothering to respond.

Kiri- Oh now you wanna get quiet? Tell me, what kind of guy gangs up on a girl who's all alone.

Aonung- The kind that wants to teach her to defend herself, and stop relying so much on others to fight her battles for her.

He abruptly stands, and looks down at Kiri.

Aonung- I changed my mind. You aren't fit to lead this clan, you can't even protect yourself.

Kiri stands and faces Aonung, determined.

Kiri- Yes I can.

Aonung- Then why don't you? Why do you always run to your brother?

Kiri- My brothers promised to always be there when I need help.

Aonung- Tuk needing help, I understand, but you and especially Lo'ak should both be able to take care of yourselves.

Kiri- Who are you to decide when we can ask for help?

Aonung- If you want help then just ask your damn parents! Why burden Neteyam with all your problems, he's just a kid too!

Kiri almost lets out a remark, but pauses at the mention of her big brother's name.

Kiri- Neteyam. This is about Neteyam?

Kiri scoffs, and the realization that he's fussing at her over the one sibling of hers he actually listens to.

Kiri- So that's it. You hate us because you think we're burdening Neteyam? He's our brother, helping us is just what he does.

Aonung- He's always helping you guys, but do you ever help him?

Kiri- If he needs help he'll probably go to mom or dad, they'd be better for it than us.

Aonung- Are you certain he asks for help when he needs it?

Kiri- Why do you care? Neteyam doesn't even like you.

Aonung- We are alike.

Kiri- I don't see it. All I see is a jerk who just called his siblings a burden. If he knew that he'd probably really hate you.

Aonung- I didn't think you were spiteful.

Kiri- I'm not, but you just pissed me off.

Kiri suddenly smirks, looking past Aonung.

Kiri- I think we're done here.