Part 49

After that, their daily conversations began. Spider's duty is to gain information from Aonung, but he always tells the others he needs more time to really gain Aonung's trust. Which isn't entirely wrong, he does need more time for that, but he's known the location of the Sullys since the first time he spoke to him.

Coming up with new excuses or fake conversations is a tough task when the other avatars are already suspecting him of lying, but so far nothing has changed. Quaritch has yet to call it off, so Spider continues "negotiations".

Aonung, these past few days, has been low key enjoying his lack of responsibilities. Even though he's a captive, he feels more free than he did back in his village. There's no pressure on him here, he just sits in a room waiting for Spider to return with food, water, or for conversation.

It's not an ideal situation, but the experience has given him some peace of mind. A break from the turmoil his people put him through. Though he'd be lying if he said he didn't miss them. He misses all of them, especially Neteyam. The last time he spoke to him he snapped, but he's hoping the other boy isn't mad at him for it.

As Aonung sits against the wall in thought, a familiar clicking sound is heard. Spider unlocks the door and comes in with a lunch bag. This is day five of being trapped among the sky people, and Aonung has gotten used to the routine.

Spider sits the bag down and places himself in front of Aonung with his legs crossed.

Aonung- More fish?

Spider- It's what you guys eat, right?

Aonung- Some fruits would be nice.

Spider- I'd choose fish over berries any day.

Aonung chuckles and Spider hands him a fish sandwich, then starts eating his own. When he stops, he pulls a bottle out of the bag to pour himself some soda, the marine boy stares at the bubbly liquid with wide eyes.

Aonung- What is that for?

Spider- Drinking.

Aonung- You drink that?

Spider- It's soda. I thought I'd let you try some.

Aonung looks at the strange drink as Spider pours him some in a cup, then he looks back up at the boy.

Aonung- It looks like acid.

Spider- It's not- . . . Actually, you know what, yeah it kinda is. Like weak acid. It's good though, try it.

Aonung- No.

Spider- Why not?

Aonung- It's acid.

Spider- No, it's flavored acid.

Aonung- I'm not drinking that.

Spider- Dude, it's good. Watch.

Spider takes a long sip from his cup, then exhales in satisfaction.

Spider- Oh look, I'm still alive.

Aonung rolls his eyes, and Spider hands him the full cup. He reluctantly takes it, and stares at the bubbles for a moment before taking a small sip. The slight sting on his tongue fades quickly then he tastes the flavor of the drink.

Aonung- It will take some getting used to, but the flavor isn't bad.

Spider- Still prefer water?

Aonung- Yes.