Part 26

Before Kiri can speak, Neteyam quickly turns to face his father.

Neteyam- You told this screwup to look after me?

Jake- Don't call him that. I know he causes trouble, but he's your brother. There's no one else better to ask.

Neteyam- So you think I can't handle myself?

Jake places a hand on his son's shoulder, trying to ease his apparent distress.

Jake- Look, I know this whole ordeal has been particularly hard for you-

Neteyam- How?

Jake- That. Now don't interrupt me.

With a sigh, he holds his head low.

Jake- Neteyam, I know you're strong, but I need you to stay out of this one. At the first sign of danger, I want you to take your siblings and get outta here.

He shoves Jake's hand off of him, and steps back.

Neteyam- I will not run!

Aonung stands from his spot, and walks up to Neteyam, grabbing his arm.

Aonung- Neteyam, calm down.

When he starts to level his breathing, listening to Aonung, Jake glances at Lo'ak and Kiri. Kiri shares the same confusion as Jake, wondering why Neteyam was so quick to listen to Aonung over his own father.

When Neteyam is visibly calmer, Aonung lets him go, and stands off to the side.

Jake- You alright?

Neteyam- Yes, Sir. Sorry, Sir.

Jake sighs looking at the boy's lingering disappointment.

Jake- I'm sorry too, I know you feel like you need to help, and that's my fault. But I want you to let us handle this, okay?

Neteyam nods, and Jake looks around at all of them.

Jake- That goes for everyone. No running off and disobeying orders. You all understand?

Each of the teens nod in response, and Jake takes his leave.

Kiri- You guys done fighting now?

Neteyam- I'm sorry.

Aonung- Don't apologize.

Lo'ak- Why shouldn't he apologize?

Kiri- Oh fuck this. Tsireya, wanna learn something else?

Tsireya looks at the boys, worried for them, but decides it's best to let them figure things out. As Kiri stands, fed up with the arguing, Tsireya follows her as she walks off.

Neteyam- Lo'ak deserves my apology.

Aonung- Then he should apologize too.

Lo'ak- For what?

Aonung- Making him feel worse than he already does.

Lo'ak- So you do know what's wrong with him.

Neteyam- There's nothing wrong with me.

Lo'ak- You don't act like it.

Neteyam- What the hell do I act like?

Lo'ak- Like you're just mad, all the time.

Aonung- And what if he is? Why'd you shit on him instead of trying to help him out? Aren't you supposed to be looking after him too? You really are a skxawng.

Rotxo- Back off him, Aonung.

The quiet boy finally speaks up, and steps between Aonung and Lo'ak. The action earns a surprised look from all three boys.

Rotxo- You told me you didn't want to come between Neteyam and his siblings. What do you call this?

Aonung glances between Lo'ak and Neteyam, then takes a step back.

Rotxo- If you really wanna help him, let him handle this on his own. Let him make up with his brother.

Aonung nods, and Neteyam steps closer to Lo'ak.

Neteyam- I'm sorry.

Lo'ak- Me too, bro.

Neteyam brings Lo'ak's forehead to his.

Neteyam- You aren't a screwup.

Lo'ak- No I am, but you aren't allowed to say it.

They both laugh, Neteyam releases his brother, then he looks at Rotxo.

Neteyam- Since when are you so bold, Rotxo?

Rotxo- Since I stopped letting Aonung make decisions for me.

The Sully boys laugh, and Aonung stands there looking offended.

Rotxo- It's okay, bro. You're just overprotective, that's all.

Neteyam laughs at Aonung not knowing how to respond to Rotxo's newfound confidence. Aonung slightly glares at Lo'ak, thinking this is because of his influence.

Neteyam- How about I actually teach you something new today?

Aonung- Like what, climbing a different type of tree?

Neteyam rolls his eyes while the other two laugh at him.

Neteyam- No, we're done climbing trees. Just come with me.

Aonung shakes his head, partially amused by himself, and follows Neteyam.