Part 112

The next morning, rather than Sorfé arriving with breakfast as he's been doing, his oldest brother has shown up in his place.

Neteyam is the first to emerge from his hammock, while Kiri is just waking in hers, and Lo'ak and Rotxo are still asleep in the one they share.

Na'haji's face is the last one Neteyam wants to see, especially first thing in the morning. His anger towards him, for letting Aonung be hurt, is still high. No amount of effort could calm it.

He walks up to the older boy as he kneels to sit the tray of food down gently. Neteyam sits down in front of it while Kiri wakes Lo'ak and Rotxo.

Usually Na'haji's body language isn't so calm and cautious, it's normally just as rough and filled with authority as he is. Neteyam wonders if he's feeling bad for letting Aonung get hurt, but he didn't seem that way the day before.

As his siblings and Rotxo place themselves on the floor, silently, they begin to eat. Normally they would be having a conversation with Sorfé, since the boy is so outgoing and friendly, but Na'haji seems to be the opposite.

Neteyam- How is Aonung?

Na'haji- He began to stir as I left the den. I will take you to see him once you finish breakfast.

He hums in response, and once everyone is done eating, and also feeling more awake, Na'haji leads them back to the  Tsahík's den. As they enter, what sounded like a small argument comes to a halt.

Cin'lan and Sorfé greet them with sorrowful looking smiles, which makes Neteyam suspicious, but he's quickly distracted by Aonung sitting with his back leaned against the wall as Yune hands him some food.

His worries dissipate at the sight of him looking lively. With excitement, Neteyam rushes to his side, followed by the others, and Aonung looks up at them with wide eyes. With a smile, Neteyam caresses the side of his face.

Neteyam- I'm glad you're up. Feeling okay?

Aonung reaches up to the hand on his face, placing it on Neteyam's, but then pulling it off of him and letting go, looking somewhat disturbed.

Aonung- Sorry, who are you?

The atmosphere turns, and everyone's smiling faces drop instantly. Neteyam's brain malfunctions for a moment, and the sudden image of him burning the place down with pure rage plays in his mind before snapping back into reality.

That's not what he just heard.

It couldn't be.

Neteyam- What the hell did you just say to me?

Aonung frowns at him a bit, not liking his tone, and not understanding why it's being directed at him for asking a simple question.

Aonung- I asked who you are. Gonna answer?

Neteyam can hardly believe his ears. He won't believe it. He can't. He's not capable. Lo'ak places a hand on his brother's back, but it makes him flinch and turn to him with a panicked expression.

Rotxo- Aonung, you know Neteyam. Jake Sully's oldest son.

Aonung looks around at the other blue figures kneeling near him and hums.

Aonung- Ah, Jake, the stand in Olo'eyktan.

Rotxo- Yes, these are his kids, you know them.

Aonung- Right . . .

Neteyam looks back at him, and he meets his gaze.

Aonung- Well, remember not to touch me, then we're good.

Rotxo- Aonung.

Neteyam turns his distraught eyes to Cin'lan, who still wears the sorrowful expression she greeted them with.

Cin'lan- I'm so sorry, but this is the other effect of the vanisher bite, the reason it is named that to begin with.

Neteyam- Tell me there's a way to fix this.