Part 122

Neteyam's ears lie back, and he takes a short breath to calm himself and not let his critic of a student cause him to lose his head. This isn't the Aonung that had always seemed to listen to him even when he ignored everyone else. Now, Neteyam is no longer as special as that, he's just like everyone else who needs to earn his respect and attention.

Jake- Neteyam!

His father's voice comes from a distance, making them both turn with a bit of surprise. The man walks up to them, wiping raindrops from his face, and Neteyam steps in front of Aonung to greet him, a bit nervously.

Neteyam- I thought you were still on your mission.

Jake- Just got back not too long ago, to resupply and rest. We're gettin' close, I can feel it.

Neteyam- That's great. I was just about to start Aonung's training for the day.

Jake- I'll come with. Test him, and see how good he's gotten.

Jake pats his shoulder then turns to walk in the direction they were going, already knowing where they train, since he picked the spot out himself. Neteyam exchanges a look with Aonung, and the boy shakes his head as he walks on to follow Jake. Compared to the amount of time they've had, he hasn't learned much.

When they reach a small dirt patch in the forest, Jake turns to face Aonung with his arms up, ready to spar, and Neteyam stands off to the side fidgeting.

Jake- Let's see whatcha got.

Aonung briefly glares at Neteyam with a sigh, already knowing how this will go because he has yet to start teaching him anything in close combat. He walks up to Jake, standing at a short distance, and the man can see how tense he is, making him shake his head.

Jake- Don't know if you've forgotten rule number one 'cause you're scared of me, or if your teacher failed to drill it into your mind.

Jake glances at his son, who seems to look guilty, then looks back to Aonung's confused expression.

Aonung- Sir?

Jake- You need to loosen up.

He shakes his arms out a bit, and Aonung mimics him even though he isn't sure what the purpose of it is, it's nothing he's ever had to do.

Jake- Now come at me, with everything you've got.

Aonung nods, and starts stepping to the side a bit, seeing how Jake watches his every move without breaking his own stance.

The moment he moves forward for an attack from the side, his sight is suddenly blurred, and when it focuses again, he's being pinned to the moist ground with Jake holding one of his arms behind his back.

It all happened too quickly for him to even register that Jake moved. The man releases him, and helps him up with a deep sigh. He looks up at him as he wipes mud from his own face, seeing the disappointment radiating from his stern expression.

Jake- You haven't learned a damn thing.

Aonung- I would have if I was being taught.

Neteyam could hiss at him right now, but instead, he follows his father when he's instructed to do so. They walk a short distance away, leaving Aonung to wait until they return from their discussion.