Part 59

Neteyam hops out of the water and pulls Jake's limp body onto the rock, while Aonung lifts his legs. They lie him down and Neteyam is quick to start C.P.R, but his attempts to bring life back into the man fail.

Breathing heavily, he holds his father's face and shakes it a bit, tapping his cheek and trying to get a response.

Neteyam- Dad . . . Dad, come on. Please. You can't do this.

As Aonung listens to Neteyam's cracking voice, he notices the boy's bloodied bandages. All the activity reopened his wound.

He places a worried hand on Neteyam's shoulder.

Aonung- Neteyam, calm down, you're bleeding.

Neteyam- I don't care!

He shoves the marine boy away from him, and tries C.P.R again in a panic.

Neteyam- Dad! Dad, wake up! Please!

With trembling breaths, his tears begin to flow, and he quickly tries to wipe them away.

Neteyam- I know I said I can handle myself, but I can't. Not here. I can't protect anyone here. I need you. Please.

Aonung hesitantly reaches for Neteyam, assuming the worst, but the start of a coughing fit startles them.

Jake coughs up the water that was filling his lungs, and slowly sits up. After coughing, he tries leveling his breathing, and the two boys stare at him in awe.

Jake- How long was I out?

Neteyam jumps onto Jake, throwing his arms around him in a tight hug as he begins to sob. His father is startled for a moment, but quickly holds his distressed son, and rubs his head comfortingly.

Jake- I'm here, I got you.

Neteyam- I'm so sorry, dad. I should've listened to you. I don't know what I was thinking.

Jake- It's okay.

He rubs Neteyam's back as the boy speaks through his sobs with sniffles and small gasps

Neteyam- I want to go home . . .

Aonung observes Neteyam in awe. He never thought the boy would let himself break down like this, even though he was encouraging it. But now he has finally dropped his tough exterior and started letting everything go.

Neteyam- I want to go home so bad . . .

Jake- I know, I know.

Neteyam- I'm not made for the water, I hate it . . . You were right, I'm no warrior. I'm just a homesick child.

Jake pauses for a moment, then pulls his son back to look at him, placing a hand on the side of his face.

Jake- No, you're still a warrior. You just need more time here, to build up your Metkayina strength. You can do it, I know you can.

He blinks with a sniff, a few more tears falling down his cheeks, mixing with the raindrops. Then he leans his head forward, onto Jake's shoulder.

Neteyam- I'm dizzy.

Aonung- Jake, his wound.

Jake quickly looks down at Neteyam's bled through bandages, but he doesn't have to worry, because he hears Neytiri's call and sees her approaching them on her Ikran, soaring through the storm. With her are two warriors on Skimwings.

As Jake lifts Neteyam into his arms and carries him over to Neytiri's Ikran, the boy loses consciousness.