Part 18

As they approach the edge of the reef, the creatures dive underwater, to avoid being spotted. Once they make it out, they resurface, and the boys laugh, feeling a rush of adrenaline.

Rotxo- What now?

Lo'ak- Let's race.

Aonung- To the Three Brothers?

Lo'ak- Hell yeah.

Neteyam- Loser has to kiss Lo'ak's ass.

Rotxo- What if Lo'ak loses?

Aonung- He'll have to kiss his own ass.

Lo'ak- Bro, what the fuck?

Neteyam- Better hope you don't lose, Lo.

They laugh at each others' utter nonsense, then Aonung begins the countdown for their race.

Aonung- Pxey, mune, 'aw.

Aonung makes a triple clicking noise, signaling the start of the race, and telling his Ilu to dive. The others follow his actions quickly, none of them wanting to lose.

They reach the Three Brothers shore, Aonung first, Rotxo second, Neteyam third, and Lo'ak last. The boys run up onto the rocky beach, chasing the loser. Neteyam catches up to him and pulls his tail, stopping him.

He holds it up as Lo'ak turns to face him, and the other two run up to them, laughing.

Neteyam- Since you can't reach your ass, how's this?

Lo'ak snatches his tail back and rolls his eyes.

Lo'ak- Very funny.

Aonung- I have an idea.

Aonung steps over to Lo'ak and slaps the boy's leg with his tail, making him wince at the slight sting.

Aonung- Dance, forest boy.

He repeats the action, and Rotxo joins in, making Lo'ak jump around and attempt to run away from them. Neteyam doubles over, laughing hysterically at how ridiculous his brother looks.

They continue this fun for a short while, then stop to catch their breath while sitting at the shore. Lo'ak rubs the sides of his legs, still feeling the sting from the many times he was hit.

Lo'ak- Your tails are strong as hell, bro.

Rotxo- Yours are just really weak. What are those things even for?

Lo'ak- Balance, mainly.

Aonung looks down at Neteyam's tail, resting in the sand next to him. He reaches for it, but stops and looks up into the blue boy's eyes.

Aonung- May I?

Neteyam- Sure, just don't pull it, or you'll lose your hand.

Aonung- Lose my hand?

Neteyam half snarls at Aonung, showing his teeth. Implying he'll bite off the hand that pulls his tail. Aonung takes note of that, and lifts the thin limb in his hand. He trails it to the end and feels the fluff of fur.

With a small smile, Neteyam watches him lose himself in his fascination again, moving his tail around and observing it from base to end. 

Lo'ak and Rotxo observe the two, then glance at each other wondering the same thing.

Rotxo- Since when are you two so close?

The smaller boy's question pulls Aonung out of his fascination, and he faces him.

Aonung- What?

Lo'ak- Neteyam doesn't let anyone touch his tail. He bit me the last time I did, and that was an accident.

Aonung glances back at Neteyam for help, but he just sits silently. When he turns back around, Lo'ak is leaning closer into his face with an accusing look. The marine boy flinches back, and Lo'ak starts sniffing him.

Neteyam snickers as his brother sniff-checks Aonung's face, jaw, and neck. He stiffens, highly confused by the intense sniffing Lo'ak is doing.

When the younger boy finally pulls back, he squints his eyes at him.

Aonung- What was that for?

Lo'ak- Tey likes to snuggle, but I don't smell him on you.

Lo'ak sits back down, and notices the very smug look on his big brother's face. His hunch was right.

Lo'ak- You gotta be kidding me, bro. Him?

Rotxo- What? What about him?

Rotxo looks between the two Sullys, confused.

Lo'ak- The reason you took his side?

Neteyam- You were actually wrong, but yeah.

Lo'ak- But still, why him?

Rotxo- Lo'ak.

Rotxo whines, and Lo'ak looks at his smaller friend with a sigh.

Lo'ak- I stole Aonung's sister, so he stole my brother.

Rotxo tilts his head to the side.

Rotxo- What?

Lo'ak- They're dating, bro!

Rotxo- Ooooh! Man, I really picked the wrong time to give him the silent treatment. I could've already known.

Neteyam- Well now you both know.

Aonung- Keep this between us only, okay?

Neteyam looks at the marine boy, a bit concerned.

Aonung- Just to deter any trouble.

Neteyam- Trouble?

Rotxo- Mo'dan.

Lo'ak- Who?

Rotxo- You don't want him to find out, trust me.

Neteyam- Who is he?

Aonung- An old friend. But swear to me you three will keep this to yourselves.

The Sully boys nod, and Aonung visibly relaxes.