Part 132

Lo'ak nods and begins to walk off to go visit his mate, leaving his brother lying on the ground. Aonung watches the younger Sully boy walk off, then turns to look back at the motionless one in the sand.

He walks over to Neteyam, and looks down at him.

Aonung- Are you just gonna lay there?

Neteyam- Go away, Aonung, not in the mood.

Aonung- Get up.

Neteyam- No, I deserve to be here.

Aonung- What?

Neteyam- Just like a failure, to be shoved into the dirt.

His voice wavers, and though his face is covered in rain droplets, his tears still stand out. Aonung sighs, then kneels down and lifts his unwilling body up from the ground.

Aonung- Don't cry in the sand.

He pushes Aonung's helping hands away, and turns to hide his tears.

Neteyam- Why do you even care right now? You've been fighting me all fucking day.

Aonung- I don't want you to cry.

Neteyam- (scoffs) Right, 'cause it's such an eyesore. Let me go hold this shit in for you then.

Aonung- That's not what I meant.

He turns to face the marine boy in confusion.

Neteyam- Then what do you mean?

Aonung- I don't like the way it's making me feel.

Aonung seems just as confused as he is, speaking while focusing solely on his still flowing tears and not actually looking him in the eyes.

Neteyam- And how is that?

Aonung- Like . . . Are you okay?

Aonung feels a single tear suddenly escape his eyes, and he wipes it, feeling confused by the abrupt wave of sorrow. The sight shocks Neteyam's tears still, and concerns him greatly. He's never seen him cry, even before the incident.

Neteyam- I think I should be asking you that.

He steps closer to him, cautiously, reaching a hand out to rub his shoulder to comfort him through whatever it is that's happening to him right now.

Neteyam- Aonung, what's wrong with you?

Aonung- I don't know . . . It's . . .

He focuses on the comforting hand on his shoulder and feels a stronger wave of tears forming. He quickly pushes Neteyam's hand off of him and steps back.

Aonung- It's you.

Neteyam- What the hell did I do?

Aonung- You cried . . . and it just, I don't know, made me feel like this.

Aonung wipes his face and takes a few breaths to calm himself.

Neteyam- My tears made you feel like that?

They both stare at each other in confusion, but Neteyam is thinking one thing; Perhaps he wasn't completely wiped from Aonung's memory. Something about him still seems to have an effect, but how can he be sure?

Neteyam- Aonung.

He steps closer to him, but Aonung flinches and steps back again. To have felt nothing, then suddenly have such a strong emotion that brings tears to his eyes, it's a little frightening to Aonung. It doesn't feel as if the emotion is even his.

Neteyam- Don't be scared, just listen.

Aonung- Why did that just happen?

The sorrow begins to fade, and Aonung is visibly calmer, since he feels more in control of himself. Neteyam closes their distance to observe him closely.

Neteyam- Remember how I told you we felt about each other?

Aonung- Yeah, but I don't remember any of that.

Neteyam- I think you do.

Aonung- You think I'd lie?

Neteyam- No, what I mean is. I think what you felt for me is still there, just somehow separate from the way you feel now . . . Like you really are two different people, but still one.

Aonung- You're not making any sense. The me you knew is gone, all of it, there's no bringing that back.

Neteyam- Maybe you could get to know what you felt before.

Aonung- Not that I really want to, but how would that even work?

Neteyam- Hold still, and tell me how you feel.

Aonung- I feel like you're invading my personal sp-

Neteyam's hand caresses his cheek, and his entire face warms abnormally, but the feeling is somewhat familiar, though he doesn't remember ever feeling it before.

Neteyam- How does that feel?