Part 99

This boy is pushy, arrogant, entitled, and worst of all, he plays favorites. He seems to dislike Neteyam, and the others, but no matter what he does, Aonung urges them not to lose their temper.

This is the future chief of Paltu, and Aonung doesn't want to disrespect him.

Neteyam understands his reason, but also sees that he has Na'haji's favor. Which is why Aonung is usually able to calm both sides, but at the moment, he isn't here, and they were just caught goofing off instead of continuing their work.

Neteyam steps to the side and begins to walk past the older boy.

Neteyam- Forget it, Lo'ak, let's just find Aonung.

His arm is suddenly gripped tightly, and he's slung backward onto the floor. He glares up at Na'haji, who scowls at him, just before being tackled to the floor by Lo'ak. The boy quickly overpowers him, and pins him down, but Neteyam and Rotxo jump in to help.

Kiri bolts for the door, in an attempt to go straight to the Tsahík, but Na'haji grabs her leg, causing her to fall. Lo'ak punches him in the face for that, but he still doesn't let go, even when Kiri turns to kick him off.

Not too far down the beach, Aonung is carrying supplies back to the others, along with the youngest brother, Sorfé. The boy is the same age as Lo'ak and Kiri, and is far nicer than his brothers.

Unfortunately, with his kindness comes his timid nature. Which means whatever his brother does, even if he doesn't agree with it, he doesn't dare correct him.

As they walk along the sand, a familiar girl approaches them, and Sorfé immediately turns his pale blue gaze up to Aonung, knowing who she's coming for.

With the baskets of supplies in hand, they both stop as she confronts them.

She's spoken to Aonung before, and he finds her pleasant. The first time was just a greeting, and show of respect. The second was her offering to help them with their tasks, but when Na'haji approached, she quickly changed her mind.

With a smile on her face, and a bright pink flower in her long curly hair, she approaches Aonung for a third time.

Lilina- Hello again, future leader.

Aonung- I told you before, just call me by my name.

Lilina- Right, sorry. Do you have a moment to spare? We could use some help.

Aonung- What's the problem?

She turns and points just within the shallows, where a few smaller figures are trying to free their net, which has gotten caught in something underwater.

Lilina- We cannot figure out how to get our net free. I would have cut it, but that would only create more work for the crafters.

Aonung- Thanks for the concern, but one more net won't be a problem. Just cut it and bring it over, I'll fix it myself.

Lilina- Thank you.

She runs back towards the shore as Aonung and Sorfé continue on their path back to the crafters' den.

Sorfé- You should mind how friendly you are to the females here.

Aonung- Hm? Why?

Sorfé- Many want out of this place, and you are like a walking opportunity.

Aonung- It is pretty intense here, but not so bad I'd want to leave if this was my home.

Sorfé- You have not seen the worst of it, Aonung, and I hope you won't have to. Just be careful.

Just as Aonung is about to question further, the commotion of a fight draws his attention. They quickly run into the den, seeing Neteyam, Lo'ak, and Rotxo ganged up against Na'haji while Kiri stands off to the side shockingly encouraging them.