Part 53

Jake looks to the warriors, and Ronal steps to the side as he prepares to speak to them.

Jake- We take the fight to them.

His decision insights cheers from any warriors, excluding Ko'nan. The Tsahìk nods in approval, a small smile on her face. Proud of how this former outsider can now rally her people.

As she decides to take her leave, and head back to her den, the warriors quiet down and gather around Jake for further instructions.

Jake- In the water we have the advantage. So we'll meet 'em halfway with an ambush.

While Jake goes over further details on positions and timing, his sons are behind the crowd eavesdropping. He told them previously that they weren't to be involved in any warrior affairs. But the boys are determined to get involved.

After being told off by his father, Neteyam is eager to prove his worth, and show him the warrior he tossed aside.

As the three boys listen closely, Lo'ak notices Mo'dan pacing and looking distressed.

Lo'ak- I know things are tense, but what's he so worked up for?

Neteyam turns to observe the boy as well. Rotxo looks at Mo'dan, then simply looks away with no answer. When Lo'ak starts to walk towards him, the smaller boy quickly pulls him back with a tight grip on his arm.

Lo'ak- I'm just going to ask what's wrong.

Rotxo- Don't.

Lo'ak- Why not? Look at him.

Rotxo- You won't like what you hear.

Lo'ak- So you know?

He releases Lo'ak's arm, but says nothing.

Neteyam- Okay, enough of this.

Neteyam places a firm hand on Rotxo's shoulder, turning the boy to face him. He looks directly into his eyes with an unbreaking gaze.

Neteyam- What's the deal with Mo'dan? Why do we have to tread so lightly with him?

Rotxo- I can't tell you.

Neteyam- You can, you just won't.

Rotxo- I refuse to say anything.

Neteyam- What's the deal with him and Aonung? If they had something in the past or whatever I won't care, okay, I just want to know why things are so weird when it comes to him.

Rotxo averts his eyes, and Lo'ak places a gentler hand on his shoulder.

Lo'ak- You need to just spill it already. Unless you want me to go over there and ask.

The smaller boy quickly looks at Lo'ak and can tell he's not joking with him. With a deep breath, he looks back into Neteyam's still unbroken gaze, and speaks just above a whisper.

Rotxo- He . . . (sighs) He is mated to Aonung.