Part 51

A queue, a bond. The thing that everyone around him has but him. Even the humans he knows have avatars, and can experience the connection, but he's left not being able to experience any of it.

Spider- I guess the biggest thing that bothers me is knowing it'll never happen.

Spider stares down at the stripes on Aonung's hand with such a sad look it almost makes the marine boy feel guilty for even having them. But Spider quickly shakes the feeling off and releases his hand, and tries to speak in a normal tone rather than the pitiful one he was subconsciously using.

Spider- So, what about you? What's the source of your pain?

Aonung- When our clan leader was killed, I was left to fill his shoes.

Spider- Fill his shoes? As a successor? Wait, you're-

Aonung- The son of Tonowari, and the next Olo'eyktan.

The boy stares in awe.

Aonung- I would've had more years to prepare, but now it's already my responsibility, and I'm not even official yet.

Spider- I'm so sorry.

Aonung- It isn't your fault. You may be human, but I know you aren't one of them.

Spider- Thanks. Jake once told me something like that. You should talk to him.

Aonung- He won't understand.

Spider- What makes you say that?

Aonung- Neteyam and I were in the same position. Sons of great leaders who expect the best from us, and who pressure us.

Interrupting their conversation, the door suddenly opens and in walks Colonel Quaritch with a smug look on his face.

Miles- I knew you were holdin' out on me.

Spider- Shit.

Miles- (chuckles) Son of the dead Metkayina clan leader.

Aonung hisses at him, but he approaches unphased. He grabs him by the bond, making the boy snarl in pain, and pulls him off the floor.

Miles- You're their future, I'm sure they wouldn't mind trading the Sullys for you. What do you think?

He hisses again in response, and the Colonel releases him. He drops to the floor and glares up at the avatar, trying to ignore the familiar pain in his bond.

Spider- You can't do this.

Miles- Stay outta the way, boy, 'cause you're about to see just how well I can.

Quaritch confidently leaves the room, and Spider turns to Aonung apologetically. But the marine boy has his eyes clenched shut, and a hand on his bond.