Part 46

Meanwhile, Jake has already left on his Skimwing. Riding through the waves with his gear, ready to take on anything to bring back Ronal's son.

After zooming through the ocean, he reaches the Three Brothers rocks.

As he rides along the shore, looking for signs of the missing boy, he hears the sound of an Ilu. The creature suddenly splashes frantically nearby, then swims right up to him.

Assuming it belongs to Aonung, he hops off his Skimwing and walks up onto the rocky beach.

It's hard to really see anything within the rocky landscape, so he pulls out a small flashlight, hoping the juice doesn't run out before he finds Aonung.

He travels up the shore, scanning for any signs of the boy. And it doesn't take long for him to find something.

A small object on the ground reflects the light of his torch. Cautious, he approaches the object and kneels down for a better view.

His eyes widen as he picks the object up, holding it out to ensure that's what he's seeing.

A small tranquilizer dart, with a bit of blood on its end.

He holds the light up seeing a few more reflections in the distance, and curses to himself.

With this evidence, he's sure, Aonung was taken by sky people. The blood on the dart is dry, meaning this happened long before he arrived.

Jake sighs deeply, fed up with their spreading war.

This battle is far too friendly, always inviting more to partake in its violence.

If the Metkayina felt this wasn't their war before, it certainly will be now.

First their Olo'eyktan, and now the threat of his heir. Jake won't be able to keep the people calm after this, but he has to tell Ronal.