Part 40

He doesn't get to dwell on it for long though, because a tall figure walks in, snapping him out of his thoughts.

Mo'dan- Ready?

Neteyam- For what?

Mo'dan- Going out. I'm filling in for Tsireya today.

Neteyam- Oh. Yeah, let's go.

He carefully pulls himself up from the floor, then Mo'dan leads him out into the village.

As they walk around, the taller boy observes how unphased Neteyam seems to be by his wound. Someone would normally be concerned about their recovery.

Mo'dan- For someone who nearly died, you sure seem calm.

Neteyam- I've nearly died a few times before, I guess I'm just used to it.

Mo'dan- Used to nearly getting killed?

Neteyam- I was raised in a war, you know.

Mo'dan- Oh, right.

Neteyam slightly shakes his head.

Mo'dan- What do you and Tsireya normally do?

Neteyam- Just walk around.

Mo'dan- That's it?

Neteyam- I'm not allowed in the water, and I can't strain myself too much, but Ronal said not to sit still all day. So, I walk around.

Mo'dan- You can't do that without supervision?

Neteyam- Your job is to keep me from trying to do anything I just told you I'm not allowed to do. Didn't Tsireya tell you this?

Mo'dan- She just told me to escort you around the village.

Neteyam hums in response, then an idea suddenly comes to him, making him stop. Mo'dan stops and looks at him.

Neteyam- Can we stroll in the forest?

Mo'dan- Um, I guess so. Just don't climb any trees.

Neteyam's face lights up, and Mo'dan sees him smile for the first time since they left the den. The blue boy drags him through the village, then into the forest. Their quickened speed makes Mo'dan worry a little.

Mo'dan- Hey, slow down. You wouldn't want to reopen your wound.

Neteyam- I'm alright.

Mo'dan- Just be careful. I don't want to get in trouble for letting you get hurt.

He slows to a stroll once he's surrounded by the jungle environment, letting go of Mo'dan's wrist and enjoying the view.

As they wander through the trees, Neteyam turns and observes Mo'dan, wondering just what it is about him that's supposed to be trouble. So far he's been very kind, and seems like a relaxed guy. Kiri hasn't complained to Neteyam about him yet either, so he's clear.

As the forest boy continues to think, he doesn't catch himself staring, but Mo'dan does. His icy eyes are staring right back.

Mo'dan- How are you prettier than your sister?

Neteyam- Huh?

Neteyam blinks, replaying what he just heard, and sees the genuine curiosity in Mo'dan's gentle eyes. Then he watches his expression quickly morph into a serious look.

Mo'dan- Stop looking at me like that or I'll set my sights on you instead.

Neteyam quickly faces forward, startled by the threatening tone, and they both proceed to wander. He glances at the taller boy, but quickly turns his head back, unsure of what just happened.

After walking in silence, Neteyam spots a thin blue tail from behind a tree. Ignoring Mo'dan's presence entirely, he moves closer, until seeing Lo'ak's figure with a pair of legs around his waist.

At first, Neteyam begins to stop and go the other way, assuming those legs are Tsireya's and that this must be the real reason she couldn't escort him.

He silently cheers for his brother, thinking Tsireya is a good choice for a mate. But then he takes another look at the pattern on those legs.

Tsireya's stripes are soft, and a bit wide, but these are vibrant, and tight. They look very much like the print of someone else Neteyam knows.

He pauses for a moment, contemplating if he even wants to confirm his suspicion. Then, slowly, he moves forward again, revealing the entire image. Neteyam's eyes widen with a gasp.

Lo'ak with Rotxo pinned up against a tree, and their bonds in tsaheylu.

Neteyam- Lo'ak!